1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Man, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

How many of you guys are using American Select as a handicap powder. I am looking for a load between 1225-1240fps, I would like to use a AA hull, 1 1/8 of 7 1/2, with the CB winchester replacement wad. How many grains should I use?
    Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use and like American Select for my singles load but only use Green Dot for handicap loads. The Alliant Web Site contains a loading manual. Check there.

Pat Ireland

3. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

4. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

one more time

5. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

Makes a great 1 oz load at 1200 fps but I would not use it of 1 1/8 handycap. Use a slower burning powder like International Clays.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have not been impressed with Am Sel. I went back to Solo 1000 for everything but Caps, and Solo 1250 for the back yard boomers.

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Love the American Select for 1-1/8 ounce at 1230. I don't use your components but in Gold Medal with Fed209A or Fiocchi primers, Fed 12S3 or clone it patterns great in my Pgun and my Cole. Very clean load. I drop 20.5 grs. mol. JRM

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Above is the link to Alliant's website.

Alliant's Reloader's Guide 2007?8 only has a few 1 1/8 oz at 1250 f/s using the Win AA hull. I would highly recommend that you follow EXACTLY published and/or pressure tested loads if insisting on loading Am Select over 1200 f/s.

I think you should follow Pat Ireland and use the Am Select for Singles. Use Green Dot for 1200 plus f/s Handicap loads.

Jason

9. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Thanks guys

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

OK Browning man, now that you have told us what componets you like to use I'll give you a pet load that you will be amazed at the way it works.

AA hull and primer, 18.5 American Select, Clay Buster AA replacement wad, and here is the secret, Use 1 1/16 of shot. This load is outstanding, fast, but light on recoil. I know you will enjoy this load, but I would try 8's if you can.

I have found that all the books have you loading too much powder, do as I suggest.

Tom Strunk

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- The use of 1 1/16 oz of shot is very wide spread but most shooters do not know that is what they are shooting. Almost all shot bushings marked 1 1/8 oz actually drop something much closer to 1 1/16 oz.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.