1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rip, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rip

rip TS Member

I have been loading PB for 1200fps loads, but as the price of PB increases I am looking for an alternative. How was American Select compare and what are some of your favorite loads. Yes, I have a scale and a crono. I am not one easy to change when all is not broken. Thanks for any replies.

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

How close to New Hampshire are you? I do not ship....

I picked a small supply of PB in 5 lb. cans and am selling it at $ 62.50 per can or a case of 4 at $ 240.00

I also have 12 pounders of 7625 for $ 130.00 picked up.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. rip

rip TS Member

Where are you located?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used American Select for many years and I like the powder.

Pat Ireland

5. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I’ve been using American Select exclusively for my 16 yard shooting and found it to be one of the best powders on the market.

Dale,

6. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

bdog
    Amer Sel loaded to 1200fps, Winchester Hull, Green Duster Wad, 1 oz of #8. The powder drop is on the Alliant reloading web page.

Gavin

7. rip

rip TS Member

Thanks all,
    I just went and bought some to try. I started with STS hulls, STS primers fig. 8 wads and 20.5 American Select. I will crono and check pattern tomorrow.
    Thanks and good shooting.

8. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Let us know how it works. I've been using the following.

STS hull,

Rem 209 primer,

Downrange Windjammer wad,

19 grains of American Select,

1 1/8 ounce of mag 8.

I also used the same reload with the Winchester 209 primer. Good luck,

Dale,

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

bdog, I'm betting you will get a little more velocity than you anticipated. When I tried that load I clocked 1279fps average. So even loping off 30fps for a full choke, that's still faster than expected.

My favorite load is STS hull, W209 primer, 18.5gr Am Sel, Fig-8 wad and 1 1/8oz hard shot. Chrono results for an 11 shot string on an 85 deg day with a .018 choke averaged 1158fps with an SD of 7.36. Same load with an STS209 primer returned 1148fps and 8.94.

I haven't had time to try them yet, but I expect using 19gr and 19.5gr with the W209 will get me closer to 1200fps for handicap. Alliant shows 20gr in their data. Am Sel appears to give the velocity anticipated around 1150fps, but more than expected as the charge increases.

I was a long time PB lover until they switched production to Canada and it wouldn't work in my reloader anymore. You'll like Am Sel. It's not quite as soft shooting, but just as clean, and more consistent in the winter.

10. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

You can't go wrong dealing with LOCDOC ( Doug Whiton). A good Trapshooter and always a straight shooter in business. Shells or reloading equipment, always fair and honest.

11. rip

rip TS Member

ZZT,
    Sounds like you have are probably right. I only loaded a few to test in STS and WWAA. with the 20.5. It seems all loads are faster than the published load datas out of my 34in. Kolar. I will run these through and adjust as needed. Thanks RIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.