1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

does anyone use american select powder.if so need a good lite load for my wife ,also I presently use green dot some say A.S burns alot cleaner with more ump What do you think.

2. SNelson

SNelson Member

A great load that I use is 7/8 ounce of shot with 17.6 Grains of American Select and a CB 0178-12 Grey Wad. I goes 1200 FPS and has 6200 PSI. It also really thumps targets and not your shoulder. There are alot of good loads with American Select in the Alliant Reloader Guide, online or in book form. Good luck.
    Scott R Nelson

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use both. Am Sel is a LOT cleaner than GD, especially at lower velocities. It is also more versatile for loads lighter than 1 1/8oz IMO. I think it is at its best for 1oz loads at about 1200fps and 1 1/8oz at 1150fps. I also use it for bunker loads of 24gr at 1300fps.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Just remember you need a hotter primer than Remington in colder weather.

Best mike

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I use American Select as it burns alot cleaner than Green Dot. Plenty of load data in Alliant Powder book/website. I also use Alliant Extra Lite, very clean and great for light loads.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I would use a faster powder for light loads. It will work , of course, but the light one ounce loads I have tried did not burn very clean because of low pressure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.