1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Does anyone use AS for 1 1/8 loads? the reason i am asking is i load rem sts for 1oz loads and winAA for 1 1/8 loads.red/green easy to tell what i got.i use 20.5 of AS for the 1oz loads, but if i stay with the same powder bushing and just change the shot bushing to 1 1/8 i would get a 1200fps load w/the AA's.one powder 2 loads.I know any powder will go bang but i would like to know if anyone has done this and the results.opinions.

Tracy

2. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I really like American Select for 1 1/8 loads. If it were me I'd reverse the hulls and use the STS for 1 1/8 and WWAA for 1.0. You'll get better fit. My favorite for 1 1/8 for years was green dot, but Am Select is cleaner and will do for 1 oz loads.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I use 20 gr AmSEL for my 1 1/8 loads too in STS hulls, W209, DR Fig 8 clone.

Guy Babin

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

20.5gr for 1oz! It's a soft shooter ,right?

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tracey, I always get more velocity than the Alliant data shows, by a large margin. I personally believe that Alliant accumulated their data and later modified the powder in some way. For instance, the W209 primer data in Lyman and other manuals does not come close to matching Alliant's data.

That being said, Am Sel is a wonderful powder. I use it (among others) for 7/8 oz thru 1 1/8 oz.

STS hull, STS209 primer, 19.2gr Am Sel, Fig-8 wad and 1 1/8oz hard shot makes a wonderful handicap load. My chrono shows 1240 fps average over a 24 shot sample with an SD of 8.96. That's very consistent. Measured the way the factory does, that's a 1200fps load. Try it. You'll like it. I don't reload Win components except primers, so I don't have any data to share with you. I will say that 20.5gr for 1 1/8oz is a hot load.

6. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

ZZT,thank you for the info.I use NS primers 20.5 AS 1oz hard #8's DRxl-1/neon wads.have only loaded a few 1 1/8 winAA and used the dr WJ wad.I will call Alliant tomorrow.

tracy

7. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I liked everything about my AS 1 1/8 oz Windjammer loads, except that the AS seemed to scorch the hulls so bad it limited the number of reloads I could get out of them.

Chip Porter

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

ZZT Would you use Am. Select over Green Dot for a 1 1/8 oz. load?

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

I use American Select for 1 1/8 oz loads.

for the 1200 fps loads I actually use federal gold medal hulls, & downrange F12S3 clone wads.

or a xl118 wad in either a sts or old school compression formed AA hull

it works nicely

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

4th Down, I would. I'll admit I am currently using up the last of my GD for 1 1/8oz loads. I bought it because the gentleman I buy my supplies from did not have Am Sel or Solo 1000 in stock when I needed it.

I LOVE my GD handicap loads, except the hulls are so sooty that handling them makes me look like a coal miner. Am Sel and Solo 1000 (and PB if you are interested) are so much cleaner, and soooo much more efficient, there is no reason not to use them. Hulls stay waaaay cleaner, targets are hit just as hard, and you use a little less powder for the same fps.

Am Sel is a superlative powder for 1 1/8oz loads at 1200fps or under.

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

My 366 is in the shop so i am loading w/a mec 650.what size bushing do you use for 20.0 gr of AS?I am using a 33 and it is dropping 19.3-6.put a 34 in it and it jumps up to 20.8.any ideas.same slide speed,no jerking or anything like that.

tracy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.