1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

One of the powders I've begun to like is American Select. I'd like to tap the experienced here and find out what limitiations (i.e some threads I read where such and such powder doesn't burn completely without sufficient PSI or in cold weather or doesn't play well with certain primers), attributes (i.e. better 1 oz than 1 1/8 oz powder), or considerations I should be educated about (i.e., great for break opens but dirty in autos)

One of the things I learned over the years as a fishing educator, is the ignorant (me in this situation), don't always get the answer they need, because they don't know the right question to ask...so please, chime in with any and all comments regarding this powder or what you may consider a better alternative for me to try.

Thanks,
    Chip

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

To me it burns as clean as ClayDot. I only used Winchester and Cheddite primers. I loaded 7/8, 1, 1 1/8 oz loads and they performed well. I don't use much 1 1/8 oz but they patterned a little tighter for me which is fine by me. I just like ClayDot though. I don't know why but I do

3. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I have used it for both 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce loads at approx. 1150fps. I use a Rem GC hull, Win 209 primer, DR FR8 or DR XL1 wad. Good powder, clean burning and throws consistent weights when loading. I did try a couple boxes of 7/8 ounce load at 1200fps (on the edge of too slow for that light a weight) and was not impressed with it, some were fine, some were "poofy", perhaps going to a higher velocity would eliminate that lack of consistency. I have shot it in all seasons and found no real differences related to temperature. All told I do like the powder.

Greg

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Chip, powders to me boil down to two different things. First is if its slow burning or fast burning type. Red Dot is fast and Green dot is slow. Slow burning powders will need more powder to do the same job. Thus they are more expensive to shoot, but some shooter "think" the recoil is less. Now if you think the recoil is less, so will it be. Slow burning powders will give less pressures in the same load so if speed is what you like then slower powders will be what you will use.
    Now the second thing is price. The cheaper the better. I don't believe powder will change a thing in a pattern, this is gun barrel,choke,wad much more than powder. So a cheap powder that uses less powder will be cheaper to shoot. You also have to take in account of what your local dealers can get you, so you may be limited to what you can find around where you live. This is what you need to think about. You can get any powder to burn if you use a federal primer in the shell. They are a very hot primer and will light any powder even if its cold. If you don't shoot in cold temps why even worry about it. If you have any other questions just ask. If you keep your load in the 9000-9500 psi range the powder will burn its best. To much higher is not good for the gun barrel over long term and to much lower may leave a barrel to dirty after shooting because of unburned powder. Are you reloading to save money??? Or reloading to shoot lighter loads??? Most shooters who reload do it for one of these two reason. That why alot of reloaders will use Promo, Its the cheapest of all 12 ga. powders. I hope I helped you out somewhat. break em all Jeff

5. 3357

3357 Member

RED DOT, more 100 straights than any other powder and now 50% cleaner burning.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Chip, AmSel is the only powder in the world that is perfectly formulated for 1-1/16oz loads.

If you shoot 1oz and 1-1/8oz in about equal numbers, you absolutely cannot beat AS, as it is excellent for them. It is also decent for speedy 24gm loads, but that's reaching down.

It is cold-tolerant, meters well, has enough pressure to operate any auto, burns cleaner than ANY of the Dots, and it is pretty hard to overpressure if you forget to change bushings.

Bob

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was given a pound of American select when a buddy quit reloading. I used it in 1-1/8th ounce loads, 2-3/4 dram equivilent loads. I was shooting a 391 Beretta at the time. It metered and shot fine, was no cleaner or dirtier than what I normally used. It did seem that I was getting a lot more burned through places in my hulls ahead of the brass, about even with the wad. In all fairness, I cannot prove it was the powders fault, maybe my hulls (sts) were on the last leg when I loaded them. I went back to my normal powder when that pound was used up as I had two fresh kegs on the shelf. If I didn't already have a favorite powder, I would probably consider American Select. Since I shoot so much pistol, I like to use a powder that has lots of pistol applications

8. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Chip, I tried 2 pounds of AS and I liked the performance side of the product a lot. My observation about using it was that it turned the hulls and my hands very black, and the plastic became degraded in the crimp fold area. It turned the plastic kinda putty-like. this was old style AA hulls. I guessed it was from having tolulene in the formula. I have not heard other posters mention that about AS. Most say it is "clean".

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/Miscellaneous/PowderBushingChart.pdf

10. leadvail

leadvail Member

Loaded 24 lbs last season. Super clean. Loaded 1 1/8oz 17.5 gr, w209 and cb 1118 in gun club hulls for 1100 fps and 1 oz. 20.5 gr, w209 and cb 2100 in top gun hulls at 1235fps for our dbls. Shot well for good scores, but didn't meter for me as I like. I am going back to Clays now because of my metering consistency issue. I do use an adjustable charge bar so maybe that was the problem with American Select. Seems to smoke less than clays too.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
american select cheddite primers

american select powder

american select powder metering
where to find american select powder