1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select vs Clay Dot??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

For a good while I have loaded American Select. I had a brief flirtation with Promo, which was ok as long as I was shooting 12 gauge with Over/Under. Now that I am shooting 12 gauge and Doubles with a Super X-1 promo looks like burning coal.

It's about time to order more powder and am considering ClayDot. I want to load 1 1/8 oz at 1170-1200 fps in Remington and Federal papers. ClayDot looks a bit cheaper than American Select but also notice it appears to use a bigger bushing to get listed charge weights than AS so is there a real savings? Other alternatives?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I haven't used American Select, but I use jugs of ClayDot. I shoot one ounce loads through my SX-1 and 1100, and sometimes can't tell I've shot them, it burns so clean. I am a convert from RedDot. Mark

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have used both. I would stick with AM Sel for the load you want. At that velocity range it is a stunning performer.

I finally decided I didn't like Clay Dot much. It was quirky and didn't do anything that my long time fav e3 didn't do better. Now that e3 has been reduced in price, there is no reason, IMO, to consider Clay Dot.

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

You can do a lot with 17 to 17.5 grains of ClayDot for 1145+ FPS velocity with 1 1/8 oz. and 1 oz. loads for that matter. If you want to push above 1200 FPS for Handicap type of loads, you may want to use American Select and/or Green Dot. As a note, I like to use Federal primers which are a bit hotter.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

I've noticed the cold weather performance of Clay Dot was poor a few light sounding shells . I'm talking 25 to 35 degrees Anybody have the same experence?
    ZZT have you shot in cold weather with E3. I was loaded at the upper end of pressure 18 grains, 1 0z.shot, Win 209 primer, STS hull and DR XL1 wad

6. billn

billn Member

I use Clay Dot, with 18.5 grains for one ounce loads, Winchester 209 primers, own range wads, for trap and Sporting Clays, I switched from Clays and E3. both are clean

I never had any trouble in any weather with the loads.

My gun shoots where I point it, sometimes I miss not the guns or loads fault.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jeff, I have no problems shooting e3 in cold weather. We don't get really cold temps anymore, but temps in the 20s and low 30s are common. No problems.

My favorite e3 load is STS hull, STS or W209 primer, 17gr e3, TGT-12 wad, 1oz WCM shot. Lyman's data shows velocity to be 1191 or 1194 respectively with 7600psi. It shoots clean with no bloopers.

Although I use Green Dot or Am Sel for my handicap loads, here is an e3 load that I really like. STS hull, W209 primer, 16.5gr e3, Windjammer wad, 1 1/8oz WCM shot. Lyman's data put it at 1180fps and 9700psi. A superb performer, and easy on the shoulder.

8. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

So based on ZZTs load above would e3 be a better choice than ClayDot? What size P-W or Hornady bushing would put me in the 16.5 gr range with e3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
american select vs clays

clay dot vs american select

clays vs american select powder