1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rayman, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayman

rayman Member

Does anyone have a favorite 1 1/8 oz. Handicap load using American Select ?
    Looking for low recoil at least 1200 FPS.
    Loaded 20.5 with the Windjammer but it seemed a bit harsh.
    Ray

2. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

I load 20.S in STS and win primer, rem fig 8 wad. They chronograph at 1250 fps.
    Started this load to match factory Nitro's. Ran thru chrono at the same time.
    Always run at least 10 to get ave and sd info. Pact chrono always reads higher than actual if you believe what mfg's list on the box. Always run a compairson at the same time with the shell your trying to match. Dave

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

20.0, Gold Medal hull, 12S3 wad or clone, Federal 209A primer. Best I have found so far and they chrono around 1210. JRM

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Try 18.5 Am. Select, STS, Rem figure 8, Rem primer, with 1 1/8 oz shot. I get a velocity of about 1145. Great load from the 16 yard line.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Check the Alliant Reloading Manual. It is on line.

Pat Ireland

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ray, for some reason I always get a little more velocity using Am Sel for 1 1/8oz loads than the loading data suggests, even after correcting for a light operated chrono.

Here are two loads a little slower than you want, but they are superb.

STS hull, STS209 primer, 18.4gr Am Sel, Fig-8 wad, 1 1/8oz hard shot. Velocity at 85 deg, 85% hum, through an .018" choke was 1148fps with an SD of 8.94 for a 10 shot string.

Substituting a W209 primer in the load above returned 1158fps with an SD of 7.36 for an 11 shot string (same setup and time as the other load). For some reason I cannot explain, that load with the W209 primer works magically well in any barrel I've shot it in.

With the components listed in the first load, Alliant says I should get 1200fps using 20.5gr of Am Sel. Like you, I was surprised at how stiff the recoil was. I chronographed them at 85 deg through a .032" choke (didn't know the humidity, but it was less than 85% for sure) and got 1279fps with an SD of 11.4. Using the full choke, I would have expected about 1220 to 1230fps, not 1279. Over the course of a couple weeks, the load was consistently hotter than expected.

Alliant says 20gr with the W209 for 1200fps. So the next batch I load up will be around 19.5gr Am Sel to try to get this down to about 1200fps.

BTW, using the Windjammer for the Fig-8 recoils just a tad less and is right around the same velocity.

7. rayman

rayman Member

ZZT,

Thanks for the info, I do crono pretty much every load I try, but the 20.5 was so harsh I never crono it.
    I did use 19.5 with the downrange 1oz AA clone in a AA hull with Fiochi primer and the load worked very wel - no recoil and smoked the targets. I did not crono the load though.
    I will try 19.5 with 1 1/8 oz with the windjammer and see how the recoil is.

Ray

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

9. 686

686 TS Member

very clean powder

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Great powder but anything over 20 grains seems a little spunky to me as well. I load 20.5 in a gold Medal with a 12s3 and a 209a with a full 1 1/8 of shot. Heavy wad,Hot primer, stiff powder charge and a full 1 1/8 oz of shot. This load gives no free ride so it isn't to be unexpected that it will kick. I am a little suprised that it was so stiff with a Windjammer but then again that is why it is called "Felt Recoil" I suspect that a Windjammer in a Gold Medal would feel a little better. Great powder that seems to produce inkballs in chokes that are more open. Jeff

11. rayman

rayman Member

Thanks to all who've commented on this powder. I will do some trial loads with reduced charges and see how it does.

Ray

12. TKHover

TKHover TS Member

The 1 1/8 oz. load I settled on, and have been shooting for a couple of years, is as follows: 19.5 gr. American Select, Remington hulls, Fiocchi primers, either Rem. fig. 8 or Windjammer wads (no difference noticed. This gives mild recoil. I use this load for 16 yd. and handicap. I haven't chronoed them but supposedly from the data, this gives about 1145 fps. Shooting from a Seitz, this load really smokes the targets.
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.