1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Select and Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I recently bought a keg of American Select to try. I load 1-1/8 oz. at about 1150 fps. The American Select works fine but I don't know that I can tell any diference between it and Red Dot that I have been using. Does anyone have a reason why they prefer one or the other?

Thanks

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Shoot a 1/2 dozen rounds at the patterning board and see if there is any difference. I use Promo and American Select. I usen the A-S for handicap loads @ around 1220fps and find they have less felt recoil and pattern better than an equivalent load with Promo. I use Promo for 7/8 ounce loads which is what I shoot 90% of the time. If it matters to you the A-S shoots cleaner in the 1-1/8 ounce load. JRM

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are all decent powders and I would have a hard time choosing one over the other for similar loads. The American Select might have the edge on being a little slower and a touch cleaner. I can't tell the difference myself. I buy whatever is the best for cost. Promo does a LOT of the normal lifting in my lighter target loads. Green Dot or Unique will do for slightly heavier loads. American Select is a "tween" and works fine too, so let your wallet be your guide. If loading to 1200 fps, American Select will usually give a little less pressure. If you load to 1150, you can't beat Red Dot or Promo in many loads.

My preference is Red Dot/Promo and the reason is cost. My shoulder does not feel a difference and the patterns were basically about the same, for the loads I checked. Powder is powder and a dollar is a dollar. One is worth more every day and one is worthless.

4. wlc

wlc Member

I did some patterning, nothing very meaningful, just shot three with each powder and looked at them. No difference that I could see. The cost is the same where I bought and at the places I order from. I think Red Dot burns pretty clean in the loads I use, 1-1/8 shot and 17.5 gr in a AA or STS hull. The American Select leave about the same amount of residue in the barrel, not a problem with either. I'd like to believe that there is a little less felt recoil with the American Select but that's probably wishful thinking. I'm using 18.5 gr of AS in a STS hull. At this point I don't think I could tell which powder is in the shells if I didn't know. Thanks for the opinions.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

I used up about 20 pounds of American Select over the past 3 years or so. It is an OK powder as others have mentioned. It will be lower pressure that red dot in equivalent loads most of the time.

It did not seem to burn any cleaner for me than the new cleaner versions of red dot and green dot.

I like and have switched to clay dot for my 1 oz loads,

I still haven't figured out which powder I like best for 7/8 oz loads and 1 1/8 oz loads yet.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I seem to notice the recoil from Red Dot more than from Am Select. The guru's of physics tell me that Iam an idiot and so_be_it but I'm mental and sticking to what I feel. I like it on the patterning board for 16yd shooting but prefer Green Dot for long yardage. I also like Am Select for 1 oz loads.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. all seems right on to this point.. I use Promo for 7/8 24 gram.. and 1 oz.. i use Unique for 1 1/8oz.. i've shot American Select and see no improvements over Green Dot.. It's good.. but no big deal.. It does work well in some pistol shells I reload.. but so does Unique

Martin..you are correct..but less sensitive people will argue the point..

All Good.. Mike

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I switched from Red Dot to American Select several years ago. I was very happy with Red Dot and I changed to American Select because my friends at Alliant said I should switch. I could not tell any real difference but I have remained with American Select for no real good reason. If I would ever change my singles and doubles powder again, I would go back to Red Dot. I will not change my handicap powder from Green Dot.

Pat Ireland

9. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how anyone can tell the difference, other than it's cleaner than another. Pull the trigger and it goes Bang and then the clay goes away..

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Right on Martin!

11. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks all, it seems that most that have used American Select agree that it is a reasonable replacement for Red Dot. I think that I will continue to use it and believe that I feel a little less recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

american dot shooters

red dot vs american select