1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American new gun quality -- LACK OF...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deercreek, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I am on a major rant right now, please allow me to vent to fellow shooters. Myself and my buddy are a small FFL dealer along with our own passion for firearms and shooting. In 2007 and 2008 we have had so many new gun problems for ourselves and customers. What the heck is going on with US gun companies...do any of them care anymore at all? For my personal firearms I have spent around 200.00 in the last year for shipping and countless hours of letter writing and extreme frustration. Tonight put the icing on the cake! I got back my Thompson Pro Hunter frame with an 8 lb. trigger pull. In June it was sent in for a trigger job, came back at 3.5 lbs, I was pretty happy until shot number 6 felt like about a 1 lb. pull and then the primers were lightly dented and nothing would fire. Sent it back last week and today it came home with the 8 lb pull---so much for the original request.

I bought my wife a rifle for Christmas last year. It was a Marlin 1894 CB in 357. The extra money was spent for the Cowboy model because it is supposed to be smoother overall and better fitted. Well to say the least there were major problems. I could only load around four rounds in the tube before it felt like my thumb would break. The action was so hard and rough to function it was very discourging for us to shoot it. So, face to face I went at it the with service manager from Marlin (at the NRA Convention). He assured me they would make things right by "putting my best gunsmith on it". Last week that gun came back, it does load much easier but the action is still terrible, nearly to the point my wife doesn't want to shoot it much. Now I feel my only choice is to send it to a well known cowboy action gunsmith in Texas but that will void my warranty. Marlin did pay shipping both ways and I do appreciate that.

I will give a quick rundown of a few others that are on the top of my head. Beretta M-21 pistol---brand new and the hammer would not fall. Three Smith and Wesson M-642 with multiple scratches and very poor fitting areas. H & R Buffalo Classic that would get no closer to center of aiming point than one foot in distance. Remington 870 20ga. that has worn an area into the receiver because the forearm was not installed and fitted correctly. Smith and Wesson rear sights that both painted dots fell off with the first cleaning. Marlin 1894 in 41 mag that the lever won't stay closed because a pin hole was oversized and the part that holds the lever closed will not stay in. New Glock that came from the factory with mismatched numbers between slide and frame. Armalite AR-10 that came new from factory non functional (just sa single shot), that deal took six months to get resolved. These are just the ones that I can quickly remember.

What is going on??? This industry is not going to have to worry about Obama, they are doing an excellent job of killing themselves.

Let me ad that my CZ 452 is a great little rifle. I felt so guilty when I have purchased non American made firearms, but how can anyone defend these problems. Another dealer recently told us that 10-20 percent of his ordered American guns come with problems too. Every single gun mentioned above was a new gun purchase from a dealer, none of them previously owned or modified. I am just waiting for business hours so I can call Thompson Arms to speak with them--who knows what I will be told.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bad Karma....

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Have you ever considered taking up Bowling ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Had a very disappointing experience with a brand new S&W 617. After firing first 2 cylinders of .22 ammo (10 shot cylinder), could not eject the empties. Luckily, a .22 cleaning rod punched them out. The culprits were 2 chambers machined improperly and, when the .22 hull expanded on firing the hulls were stuck in the chamber. Took 6 weeks turnaround from S&W repair and they replaced the defective cylinder. Problem solved? Next firings tried to adjust the sights...the rear sight adjustments could not be moved and the blade was flopping (loose). Quality control is a major issue @ S&W. Best Regards, Ed

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

What exactly is the price of American quality. My last GMC truck was complete shit. Oh, so is my wife's Buick. How many of us have old Marlin's, Remington's, Smith & Wesson's and Ruger's that were of much better quality and fitting than todays production. How has the technology that we have managed to produce so many problems.

Sorry about the Glock as it is indeed manf. in Austria. I do believe the Beretta 21 might be US made. Forgot to mention the synthetic stock on a Remington 700 LVSF came damaged, and the replacement for that also came broken but in a different spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.