1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Military Cemetery- Normandy, France

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sernv99, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

just got back from 2 weeks in Europe....while in France, I visited Omaha Beach and the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial (NACM) in Normandy region of France. It overlooks Omaha Beach. For those interested in visiting this place sometime in your travels, the best place I found to base yourself out of is the town of Bayeux. This town is closest (about 20 minute drive) to the American D-Day landing beaches of Omaha and maybe 10 to 15 minutes more to Utah beach. You can sign up for one of those bus tours to tour all of the D-Day beaches but if you want to hike it on your own, renting a car and staying in Bayeux is your best bet. Just FYI: most of the hotels in Bayeux do not have AC so if you plan to visit in the warmer months, just a heads up.

Bayeux is about a 2 hour drive from Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. The next biggest town is Caen, which is about 20 minutes east of Bayeux. The GPS took me on the rural backroads of Normandy vice the main highways so it was a real treat to travel through these towns that look like something out of a postcard. Weather was great, sunny and in the high 70's to 80 degrees. I lucked out as that normally it is cold and rainy in late September/early October. Here are some pics of the NACM.

sernv99_2008_290919.jpg

pic of visitor center and reflecting pool

sernv99_2008_290920.jpg

sernv99_2008_290923.jpg

various pics of the cemetery

sernv99_2008_290924.jpg

sernv99_2008_290925.jpg

sernv99_2008_290926.jpg

sernv99_2008_290927.jpg

sernv99_2008_290928.jpg

sernv99_2008_290929.jpg

sernv99_2008_290930.jpg

For those in good physical shape, you can take a stroll down to the beach (about a brisk 15 to 20 minute walk). You can see the stairs and pathway in one of the pics so it's not that much effort of a climb down and back up. The beach is a public access beach. I walked down to the beach and turned around to look back up towards the cemetery. I then scooped up some sand from the beach and put it in a bottle as a remembrance.

sernv99_2008_290931.jpg

sernv99_2008_290932.jpg

sernv99_2008_290933.jpg

sernv99_2008_290934.jpg

sernv99_2008_290935.jpg

sernv99_2008_290941.jpg

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Great photos of this historical site, thank you for sharing with us.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

forgot to say...Bayeux is right in the middle of calvado (apple brandy) country....plenty of mom and pop calvado roadside distilleries in the area where you can stop and sample the local product...

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

My wife's Uncle is buried under one of those crosses.

He was killed on D Day in the water. He never even made the beach.

He was 19 years old.

Our youngest son is named after him.

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Great pics, need to make it there some day.

Russ, what's your son's name?

6. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Handlepuller - Nicholas Stephen.

7. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for the great pics-- I tried to write more about it's impact as I traveled thru much of the area---just couldn't do it. Your pics did it better.
    thanks again

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Beautiful pictures.

It is sad and depressing that at this point in time, some 1500 WWII vets die every day and many will never have had their story told.

That being said, WWII is perhaps one of the most documented conflicts of all time, due to its time in history with photos, films, recordings and books.

With those records and the landmarks and monuments dedicated to the valiant, perhaps their sacrifices will never be forgotten.

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Beautiful pictures.

It is sad and depressing that at this point in time, some 1500 WWII vets die every day and many will never have had their story told.

That being said, WWII is perhaps one of the most documented conflicts of all time, due to it time in history with photos, films, recordings and books.

With those records and the landmarks and monuments dedicated to the valiant, perhaps their sacrifices will never be forgotten.

10. FIB

FIB Member

It's hard to believe viewing those beautiful peaceful pictures that so much pain, death and destruction occured there 60 years ago.

11. Loyac

Loyac Member

God Bless every last veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. John

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thanks for the pics, it looks so pretty now, it was true hell back then, thank God we had brave men to do do the job

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

TNX for the beautiful pictures. It's on my Bucket List to visit as is the US cemetery on Lytee Island where my Uncle is buried. The story about how the Franch from the close village maintain and respect this hollow ground is also heart warmmig.

blade819

14. revbook

revbook Member

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I would really love to visit some day.

Don

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I was privileged to get to visit the Cemetery over the Easter week-end in 1970. At that time there was still some remains of the invading equipment still in the water at the beach.

Very impressive cemetery.

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

archbald pa wwii vets buried at american cemetary omaha beach normandy