1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Legion???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 9point3, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I am a member of my local American Legion and I am one of the younger members at 44 years old.

Lst night I went to the Canteen to enjoy the New Years Eve Paarty and was a bit disapointed. The place was packed at 8pm---the place was empty at 11pm.

One fella told me that 15-20 years ago this place was standing room only till 2am. I told him that the reason that the place was hoppin back then and not now is that the all the members were 15-20 years younger back then.

Are any of your Legion Halls Dying? What are you doing to attract younger members? Our Board of trustees is all 60-85 years old and are not real interested in changing much and cant/wont see the fact that there membership is aging real fast.

Any ideas

9point3 in Iowa

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is the same all over. I have belonged to the AL in 9 states. It is getting worse because we are getting older but mostly because of the drinking & driving laws. I just looked at our local ADA county web site and there were 26 DUI's last night. Just cant get away with it anymore ( and I agree with the law) I enjoy the AMVETS clubs a lot more than the Legions ( generally)

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The younger veterans never feel welcomed in general.

That is why they are dying

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Our American Legion Post 721 in San Juan Capistrano, CA is growing every year.

More and more younger veterans are joining. Might be the $5 steak and salad dinner and the great way the Post is run; no tight (a$$es) allowed.

Dave

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

For some reason I don't understand there are a whole group of Veterans myself included who served from 1976 till 92? that can't join the Legion as full members, we were awarded no ribbons not even National Defense, maybe somebody here can explain why our service basically counts for nothing. There is some kind of Cold War medal it's not authorized and if you want it you have to buy it, bunch of BS

6. snkypete

snkypete Member

9point3:
    What you are experiencing is universal. Cuban cigar 2000 and Gene are
    correct, but it isn't just Legion and VFW clubs that are suffering membership
    decline.

All organizations of every kind are experiencing declines from Elks
    clubs to Rotary clubs. Pick up a copy of a book called "Bowling Alone". It explains what is happening in society with clubs and organizations.

As a member of both the VFW and Legion, I see first hand the reluctance of the
    younger vets to join. They see no benefit, and the two organizations are doing a very poor job of recruting new members and making them feel welcome. I wish I had an answer to this problem

Richard

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sarge membership was always based on the time(dates) you served and those dates were set by Congress I believe. Never had anything to do with ribbons won or bought. Maybe you have your organizations confused. Different groups different membership requirements.

Maybe you should recheck with your local post before sticking foot in mouth.

Don

8. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

Our local Legion Post is really a thriving club. I think the key is a mixture of young and old people involved in the organization. Lots of dinners, ham & turkey raffles, gun raffles, benefits, wedding receptions & dances. They have functions for young and old. In gerneral, bars and clubs mostly suffer from the increased police patrols and DUI task forces, people just don't want to take the risk of the arrest, hurting someone or themselves.

Sarge-I don't think those by-laws apply to the American Legion. I was under the impression if you served and had an honorable discharge with DD 219 you could be a post member. I was on the board of the local VFW and there are specifac dates or medals for qualification with them but was not aware of any with the Legion.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Here is the poop on American Legion and VFW membership eligibility, straight from their web pages:

"Eligibility Requirements for American Legion Membership

If you are currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the following eligible war eras, we invite you to become a member of The American Legion.

•April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)
    •Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
    •June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
    •Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
    •Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
    •Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
    •Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)

Qualifications for Membership into the VFW

If you are an honorably discharged veteran and U.S. citizen who has served overseas in a combat zone and have been awarded a campaign or service medal, served at any time in Korea or received Imminent Danger / Hostile Fire Pay, you may qualify.

Here are the campaign medals and other awards, since WWII, that may qualify you for the VFW:

MEDALS
    Iraq Campaign Medal
    Afghanistan Campaign Medal
    Global War of Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
    Kosovo Campaign Medal
    Korea Defense Service Medal
    Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
    Navy & Marine Corps Expeditionary Medals
    Southwest Asia Service Medal
    Vietnam Service Medal
    Korean Service Medal
    Army of Occupation WWII Medal
    Navy Occupation Service Medal
    China Service Medal
    Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
    European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
    American Campaign Medal
    American Defense Service Medal (with foreign service clasp)

BADGES & RIBBONS
    Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
    Combat Action Badge
    Combat Action Ribbon
    Combat Infantryman Badge
    Combat Medical Badge
    SSBN Nuclear Deterrent Patrol Breast Insignia

LEAVE & EARNINGS STATEMENT
    Imminent Danger Pay
    Hostile Fire Pay

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well Big Don how's it feel to have that foot in your mouth, as stated above if you served from 6/75 to 8/82 you cannot join. I was regular Army from 12/75- 4/80and USAR 80 and 81 and received a Honorable Discharge, Good Conduct Medal and a ARCOM .

11. 9point3

I'm gonna talk to our commander and maybe we can come up with somthing to boost the younger vet's patronage

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

i'm with sarge 75. I was on active duty from 1957 to 1959 and I fall in the years where I don't qualify to join. I know A person that goes to the legion that didn't serve but he can go as A "son of A legionair".
    I don't really care to join but I find it ironic about some memberships.

Roy

13. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I belong to the American Legion, VFW, and Disabled American Vets and they all have the same issue. The parties, events, music, etc is geared towards the older Vets and the clubs here locally are slowly fading away. The music is always Lawrence Welk type or Country. They don't care that some of us like Rock and Roll especially 70's music. I have brought this up to other members before and just run into a brick wall. One even has the New Years Dance at 6:00pm and is closed up by midnight. The clubs need the younger Vets from Vietnam on up to now to participate and I think it is nice to be able to have a gathering place for Vets to talk to other Vets or get help when needed.

14. 9point3

cpd544

Run into the same thing at our place. Even heard a trustee say "these young kids. . . all they want to do is listen to rock music, wear their hat and say fcuk"

Heck Nam vets are at least high 50s by now

One can be a vet now and be born in 1990-91 maybe later

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a Legionare an Elk PER, and a Master Mason. The "service" clubs in my neck of the woods are dying a slow death, I'm sorry to say. I don't know if it's the current economy or changing times and values.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sarge you obviously have a reading problem also.

"Sarge membership was always based on the time(dates) you served and those dates were set by Congress I believe. Never had anything to do with ribbons won or bought. Maybe you have your organizations confused. Different groups different membership."

"Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War) •Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada) •Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)"

Looks like your dates don't qualify for the period you served for the American Legion which you asked about and I answered,"who served from 1976 till 92? that can't join the Legion,"

Now as far as the VFW I never professed to know their regs so figure it out if you can. Which I doubt. I hope you don't have any more than 2 feet.

Try to have a good day.

Don

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I am a member of the local legion as a "son of a vet". I personally never served. It looks like the very idea of joining any kind of club is unpopular with most young prople. My stepfather and mother are shriners and their organization is dying rapidly. Even our local shooting clubs are rapidly losing membership. Don't know why this is,it just is. I don't see this as some kind of a tragedy, just changing times. Bill Wheeler

18. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

The thread said AL you brought up other organizations, not me or the thread starter. I knew the end date for Vietnam was just before I went in,
    the new start date,Panama, I wasn't sure but I did know it was after I ets out. I knew this because I tried to join. That is a 7 year block of time that we can't join. I'm sure that equates to 1000s of Vets

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I am a Vietnam Vet, and I remember going into a VFW when I got out of the Marines. The guys; WWII Vets mostly and older wouldn't even talk to me. I never went back.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was because of Viet Nam? A lot of old fart boozers just don't like to talk to anybody younger than them. Thank you for your service, 410. And welcome home. Bill Wheeler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.