1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

American Airlines Stick it to Our Troops!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Can you BELIEVE this???? Just because the idiots at aa weren't smart enough to contract fuel futures, they now STICK IT to OUR boys and girls going over to fight for us and them!!! Last I knew, the service was not a high income job, so I really doubt these kids are flush with cash to front these monies to aa prior to reimbursement. aa should send in a group bill each month to the military just like every other corporation probably does.

THIS JUST FRYS ME!!! IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE I STEP ON THEIR AIRLINE!!!

2. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

I'm sure things will be a lot better when John McCain is president. You can tell right away that he has a lot more concern about the youth of this country(our future soldiers)and a genuine empathy for the working class of America.

We'll all be drinking free bubble-up and eating rainbow stew.

TD

3. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Tracker Dan,

You are so right....When Obama gets to the White House, all of our problems will go away. We won't have to worry about AA charging our boys and girls a baggage fee, because they won't be traveling, they won't even be around. We won't need a military (he'll finish what Clinton started)we will just negotiate the last of any problems we have away with all that would like to see the USA gone. We will say we are sorry we are the best and greatest country in the world and let all take whatever they want so they are not mad at us. But how will we know what everyone wants? We will be speaking 47 different languages and fighting each other because there will only be 1 religon allowed, we just won't have a winner as to which one it is.

TD, your a moron with a downrigger and you got me, but I got to vent too.

OB

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

i read between the lines..the article states their "extra" duffle bag,so if they had more than they were allowed,which it sounds like they did ,then i have to agree with the charge,and the policy to get reimbursed later. i am sure their command made it clear what their allowance was for baggage.

bill

5. bigdogtx

Well, $100 and $300 is kind of EXCESSIVE. Here is the exception list from the aa.com website:

"The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008
    For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
    Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada
    Customers originating travel outside the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination
    Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
    Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
    Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
    Customers traveling on government or military fares
    Military passengers on active duty..."

Kind of looks like they are wanting to pick up some cash to me. What part of the exception "Military passengers on active duty" does this not apply to our soldiers? It also seems to be international travel as well??? Hmmmm

6. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

I was on an American Flight with a whole bunch of new Marines and the flight attendents treated them with respect and free food. No big deal, but they are charging everyone else for food these days.

Gary

7. 5spd

5spd TS Member

My son got stiffed $109 when he had an extra duffle bag. The military will allow 1 duffle bag and you have to pay for anything over that, he had no choice due to all the crap he had to pack.

8. oz

oz Active Member

remember the day when GI's flew military planes to their destination. they do get a military free ride when they are killed though. the stock market is killing us all at a slower rate. oz

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Airlines back off extra bag fees for military

WASHINGTON (AP) — Some airlines have begun giving military personnel on official travel a pass on expensive baggage fees when they carry heavy duffel bags stuffed with combat gear.

Faced with criticism from veterans groups and others that the fees are a financial burden, several airlines have announced exceptions for service members. AirTran Airways, Delta Air Lines, and Northwest Airlines said Friday they were waiving all or most of their baggage fees for active members of the U.S. military on official travel.

Earlier this week, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air began waiving their fee to check a third bag for active service members.

Many airlines struggling with the high cost of jet fuel implemented or increased baggage fees this year. Some service members, including those deploying to and from combat zones, have said they've been asked to pay as much as $300 for extra for overweight duffel bags that may include body armor and other vital combat equipment.

Veterans of Foreign Wars Commander In Chief George Lisicki sent a letter earlier this month to the Air Transport Association, which represents the airline industry, asking for a break for service members. On Friday, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., sent a letter to six major airlines and Defense Secretary Robert Gates asking that airlines who continue to impose baggage fees bill the Pentagon directly rather than have service members pay the fees themselves.

"Members of our armed forces traveling on official orders should not have to bear any cost whatsoever associated with that official travel," Clinton said. "Our men and women in uniform deserve our utmost respect and gratitude, not additional, unnecessary paperwork."

David Castelveter, a spokesman for the transport association, said he expects most airlines to drop or modify their fees for military personnel on official travel.

"While we have not seen an official letter from Senator Clinton, we have responded to the VFW commander advising him that the majority of ATA members have reevaluated their baggage policies for military personnel on active duty orders," Castelveter said.

The Pentagon reimburses service members for bag fees incurred during official travel, but not for personal travel, Defense Department spokeswoman Eileen Lainez said.

Bag fee policies for military personnel vary by airline. Southwest Airlines formally adopted a policy earlier this year waiving bag fees for extra and overweight bags for active duty military personnel on official travel. The policy announced Friday by Northwest allows active duty military personnel on official travel to check up to three bags at no fee as long as the bags don't weigh more than 70 pounds each.

10. bigdogtx

Looks like turning up the heat on something wrong, got something done.

God Bless America

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

It was in the newspaper tonight that the airlines are correcting this public relations wound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.