1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Amateurs VS Pros

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

First off let me say that I think its great that we can participate in a sport, and have a chance to compete with the best shooters in the business. Dont know of another sport where thats possible.

There has been alot of talk about "Pros" in the ATA. What constitutes a "Pro" ????

The "amateur" is the guy who shoots because he loves it. Tries his best to win every time. Sometimes you do ...sometimes you dont.

The "pro" is the guy who posts the good scores....but never shows up for the shootoffs. He's not concerned with whether he wins an event or not.......only how much money he wins.
    In my opinion.....thats the difference.

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Forget Amateurs vs Pros. When we take winnings, we're all Pros. Think Good Shooters vs The Best Shooters.

blade819

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

blade:

I agree with ya. But personally, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to "win" an event...or even a class in that event. Sure I'll take the money, but its secondary...its not why I shoot.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A Pro is: Anyone that earns a majority of there gross income by trap winnings and/or professional lessons.

An Amateur is: Someone that donates a portion of their disposable income to the Professional Trap Shooters gross income.

5. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

You could also look at a pro who is someone who falls into this catagory 1.Is sponsored by a firearms manufacturer 2.Your shooting fees and ammunition are paid for by a manufacturer of shooting sports product ect. 3. or as stated befor your majority income comes from the clay target shooting sports. Shoot well George

6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I would also think if you can charge a fee to teach someone how to shoot, you would be a Pro.

Way back when, we all pitched in to teach someone to shoot for the joy of seeing a new shooter excell. A Pro will not do that until the money is paid. (in most cases)

I know some Pros that still offer to show you how for free, but they are few and far between.

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I let off on registered targets since my score went down,but thought to myself except Lewis money what chance do I have?

I also figure if I skipped 3 or 4 registered shoots I can buy a Shamrock leather bag with anything I want on it!

We went to the NYS shoot just to see friends this year,I didnt get my new bag BUT got new gun out of the season.

Jerry Lewis

8. machete

machete TS Member

A pro is anyone who takes more than 5 thousand dollars a year in purses.

They lose pro by falling under 5 thousand for the next consecutive two years.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Watching the Golf Channel,15 year old amateur is leading the LPGA pro tour in the final round by 4 strokes with 3 holes to play. 1st place for the pros is $300,000. HMB

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There you go with the dang golf again.

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

The difference between pro and amateur is that the pro gets paid on top of the table and the amateur gets paid under the table.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At least when you finnish a round of golf you get to keep your golf balls. Not like trap, when you shoot a round management keeps your shot. HMB

13. grntitan

Not when I play golf. I rarely finish a round with the same ball I started with. I tend to spend more time in the woods than the fairways. Call me "slice".

14. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

According to dictionary, A professional is , someone who participates for gain or livlihood. Need more be said?

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If you win over five thousand in option money but spend over 30 thousand in travel, food, fuel, fee's targets ect...ect...

Are you still a Pro? And what would the IRS feel about deducting these "pro Trapshooter" losses year after year?

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At least you won't have to pay any taxes with all those deductions. HMB

17. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"" If you win over five thousand in option money but spend over 30 thousand in travel, food, fuel, fee's targets ect...ect...

Are you still a Pro?"

It depends.....did you show up to your shootoffs?????? :)

18. grntitan

mikkeeh,

So who exactly are you saying doesn't show up for shoot offs? All the quote "Big Dogs" who would be known as "Pros" show up for their shoot offs at the shoots I've attended. I think you have someone you are referring too so spit it out already.

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Shot410 or anybody else...Can you show me the definition between a pro and amateur in the rules of the ATA? No you can't, because every member of the ATA is an amateur. If you don't like it don't join. Simple.

B. MEMBERSHIP
    Membership is divided into two (2) classes (Life and Annual), both of which
    have full shooting rights and privileges. The 2012 target year runs from
    September 1, 2011 through August 31, 2012.
    All shooters are considered amateurs and shall be entitled to all rights as
    set forth in these Rules.

Wayne

20. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

grntitan:

Seriously, no one in particular. Just seems that alot of times the "bigdog" shooters are no shows. No one I shoot with would ever intentionally miss a shootoff. Just different priorities I guess. The topic came up this week.......just seemed interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.