1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

amateur misses ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BZ-99, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZ-99

BZ-99 TS Member

How are amateurs most frequently missing targets. Over the top or under the target?

2. XTerminator

XTerminator Member

I would say they miss behind the target most often.
    Trying to aim and stopping the gun.
    If you're behind the target it really doesn't matter if you're high or low.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't know...but I hear 60% of blondes stop eating Dairy Queen once the weather gets cold.

You've come to the right place. We'll check the data and get back to you...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe there are many more misses by shooting under the target than over the target. The key to preventing this is not to try to shoot higher. Just keep into your gun and see the target without lifting your head and your
    brain-gun will do the rest. My problem is that I can see the target better if I lift your head just a little. That is a trick Mother Nature plays on me.

Pat Ireland

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Under and behind.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'd have to look at it again but I believe Phil Kiner's DVD explains it as Pheasantmaster stated. Best money I ever spent. When I start having problems I watch it again. Has always seem to help so far.

7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Does not matter if it is amateur or "pro" the misses are the same.

For a rightie (and assuming it is a mistake miss not a cross-fire miss) it will be low and left 90+% of the time. This means in front of lefts and behind rights.

When it is a cross-fire miss it is still left just high instead of low

Lefties reverse

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Phil, even if it's not a true cross fire. Wouldn't you think it has to be something with the eye and the interpretation of data in the brain ?

Do left handers have the same percentage?

Thanks,
    Ajax

9. indycamster

indycamster Member

Hey Phil, does that mean I have been consistently hitting those hard lefts,(they were never a problem) because I cross fire on them? Two eyed shooting, would suggest so, and hard rights are missed because I am not shooting "Behind it" but left of it...right? This would suggest that the crossfire problem actually helps hit hard lefts..actually your DVD helped me identify my crossfire issues. I had never heard of it before seeing your DVD. And now, I tape the left lens, and on 4 and 5 (where I had the most difficulty) I just close the left eye and shoot one eye only. Works for me!Thanks again. By the way you got a new DVD in the works?

10. Phil Kiner

ajax- not sure I understand your 1st question- the percentages are the same for lefties

Cross-firing does not help on any angle because you shoot high on the target
    Remember this - it is quite common to have someone cross-fire on only one angle so you could cross-fire on rights and not on lefts meaning you could shoot all your lefts two-eyed and hit them well when at the same time you would miss your rights when you shoot them with both eyes.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Phil, I did not phrase the question very well but you gave me the information in your second paragraph.

Thanks as always,
    Jack

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Thank you Mr. Kiner.

D.P.Reynolds

13. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Mr. Kiner,

FYI, your first video has helped three generations of my family. The mental and visual items were even more important than the actual shooting.

In regards to your comment about 'left & low', how much of this can be attributed to foot position aka stance?

Thanks for all your efforts.

Kip

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Amateurs?/,,By our ATA cards,aren't we ALL amateurs???

Doug H.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My thoughts of why an amateur misses is that they don`t mount their head properly on the stock mainly head up, therefore shooting off the barrel which is in the up plane . Then as they pull the trigger they more than likely stop the gun so Over and Behind would be my guess . Probably 3 ft high and 2 ft behind . Like to see this with tracers or better yet in a down pour but nobody shoots in the rain .

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The bulk of my misses are under and behind.. EXCEPT.. station 3 straight away.. OVER..

17. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

PerazziBigBore, Why do you only miss station 3 straight a ways over. Don't all stations have straight a ways? Would you not miss all straight a ways the same?

18. Phil Kiner

Ask the shooters that were in PA 2 weeks ago or in Gillette last Saturday- It does not matter righties are left and lefties are right

Everyone is low except those that are cross-firing and since everyone does this I would say stance is not a factor.

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What causes the low shooting? Is it stopping the gun, bead checking, trigger control?

Thanks for posting, Love your DVD.

20. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Phil,

Thank you for your response.

Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.