1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Amateur Hour at the White House

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by mrskeet410, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The Wall Street Journal

DECLARATIONS
    SEPTEMBER 22, 2011, 8:45 P.M. ET

Amateur Hour at the White House
    But at the U.N., Obama rises to the occasion, while Perry makes himself small.

By PEGGY NOONAN

....I note this to make clear the particular importance, for me, of Ron Suskind's book on the creation of President Obama's economic policy, "Confidence Men." If Mr. Suskind is right, I have been wrong in my critiques of the president's economic policy. None of it was as bad as I said. It was much worse.

The most famous part of the book is the Larry Summers quote that he saw it as a "Home Alone" administration, with no grown-ups in charge. But there's more than that. Most of us remember the president as in a difficult position from day one: two wars and an economic crash, good luck with that. But Mr. Suskind recasts the picture.

Like FDR, Mr. Obama had big advantages: "overwhelming popular support, Democratic majorities in both houses of Congress, and the latitude afforded by crisis." But things were weird from the beginning. Some of his aides became convinced that his "lack of . . . managerial experience" would do him in. He ran meetings as if they were afternoon talk shows. An unnamed adviser says the 2009 stimulus legislation was the result of "poor conceptualizing." Another: "We should have spent more time thinking about where the money was being spent, rather than simply that there was this hole of a certain size in the economy that needed to be filled, so fill it." Well, yes...

...Let me say here clearly what I've been more or less saying in this column for a while. It is that Mr. Obama cannot win in 2012, but the Republicans can lose. They can hand the incumbent a victory the majority of American voters show themselves not at all disposed to give him. (No column is complete without his latest polling disasters. A Quinnipiac poll this week shows Florida voters disapprove of the job the president is doing by 57% to 39%.)

Republicans only six months ago thought the president was unbeatable. Now they see the election as a bright red apple waiting to fall into their hands. It's not. They'll have to earn it...

...I'd add only that in his first foreign-policy foray, the GOP front-runner (Governor Perry) looked like a cheap, base-playing buffoon.

As I said, Mr. Obama can't win this election, but the Republicans can lose it by being small, by being extreme, by being—are we going to have to start using this word again?—unnuanced.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    More liberal drivel.

Yawn.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Brian - If you find that article liberal drivel you must be further on the extreme radical right than I imagined, maybe even to the right of those goofy John Birchers. You probably think the Presidents Bush were liberal. But maybe you are upset to learn that Perry is a buffoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.