1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Amarillo Gun Club

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by B525SPtng, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B525SPtng

B525SPtng TS Member

This has been a tough year for Trap shooters in the West Texas area at a time when trapshooting is becoming more popular in this area. We have several strong 4H shooting programs that are generating quite a bit of youth interest in trapshooting. With that said it is nice to have a gun club like the Amarillo Gun Club to go shoot at. In the past the Amarillo Gun Club has received a notorious reputation for having bad targets, late start times and other issues. Recently the directors of the club have been working hard on fixing these issues and they have been doing an excellent job. All too often they are not given any credit for the improvements that they are making. In fact some shooters have such a negative view of the Amarillo Gun Club that any time something goes wrong, they instantly begin complaining about it. Not all of the shooters are this way in fact during the last two years I have met a lot of very nice and very interesting people at the Amarillo Gun Club. I would like to think that some of these shooters with the negative attitudes could forgive the club for what has occurred in the past and start to encourage and support the largest club in this area. If all they can do is complain about everything the club does then how is this going to help us continue to enjoy the sport that so many of us love to participate in. This weekend was the 48th annual Sportsman Championship and due to the target supplier’s mistake of leaving the Bio targets out in the rain we had a lot of broken targets during the shoot. The Amarillo Gun Club had no control over this yet they still received a lot of the blame from some shooters that will not get over the past. I would like to thank the Amarillo Gun Club for all of the improvements that they have made and are continuing to make and for hosting an excellent shoot under very tough and trying circumstances.

Wayne Jennings

2. joconnor

joconnor Member

I agree whole heartedly. I think there is a whole new attitude at Amarillo. When shooter stop complaining and start helping (me included) things will get better much faster. My hats off the the guys that busted their butts trying so hard to fix a problem they had no control over. Jerry O'Connor

3. wallyworld6012

wallyworld6012 TS Member

I am trying to put together a fund raiser for CMN and would like input on how would be the best way to get started and if anyone has ideas on what would be the best type of prizes and any other suggestions would be helpful.

Coy D Koen
    Plainview

4. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Wayne-

In your posting on the Amarillo Gun Club, you stated that the club had a nightmare the previous weekend because "the target supplier left the biodegradable targets in the rain" and there was a lot of breakage that bothered the shooters that attended.

Please email me @ Murray826@aol.com to let me know whom the Target Supplier was that was involved here.

Thanks.

Phil Murray
    White Flyer Targets
    Houston,TX

5. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

The target supplier was a local retailer; the targets did NOT come directly from the mfg; from what I heard, the apparent issue arose on the ground at the local retailer. Hopefully that retailer will make good, we'll see.

There were a number of heroes this weekend from some of the trap help, to some AGC members, and even a nearby 4-H program. When all was said and done, Monday wound up as one of the most enjoyable days of trapshooting in this area in a long time. It was a great, great day to be a trapshooter and a great reward for those who endured the earlier problems and were kind enough to either chip in or at least give the club the benefit of the doubt.

Lessons learned:

1.for those in state or areas where bios are not mandatory, avoid them at all costs.

2. the Amarillo Gun Club is alive and well.

6. winselect

winselect TS Member

Isnt it a shame about Lubbock. I still believe that club would still be here if someone who would work at it would have bought it. Shooting clubs have to be promoted and you have to want to sponser shoots. Your not going to tell me that with a little effort a club in Lubbock wont work.
    Kevin

7. tomward

tomward TS Member

Is Jerry O'Conner really still alive? He was an old man when I lived there as a kid. Tom Ward

8. joconnor

joconnor Member

I see Mr Ward has been checking my scores. I not sure but I think a dead man could beat some of the scores I've been shooting. Jerry O'Connor

9. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I was aware that Mr O'Connor was well and kicking but had begam to
    worry about Mr. Ward. Haven't heard or seen him all year. Not a big
    loss - just curious?
    Doyal

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

The only Skeet and Trap club that is close to Lubbock is in Gaines county. About 65 miles to the South West of Lubbock. 4 traps and 3 soon to be 4 skeet with a 5-stand. Ashame bout Lubbock, the new buyer i hear (rumor) went for the money instead of keeping it open for Public and 4-H shooters. There is a trap club only around Post Texas also. We gotta keep shooting and keep young shooters coming up !!!!!

Wesley

11. Amarillo GC

Amarillo GC Member

Thanks to Wayne and the others for your kind comments. Please take a look at our posting under the thread, "A Message from the Amarillo Gun Club"

12. tomward

tomward TS Member

Doyl, What do you mean not a big loss? You know anyone bigger? TW

13. winselect

winselect TS Member

Gaines county is very nice, beats any range around. They are working on getting a club house built and having registered shoots.They are also working on getting bunker trap.We shoot there nearly every week.
    Kevin

14. Winchester M21

Winchester M21 Member

Amarillo is a great place to shoot!!

One of these days I am going to go down there and whoop up on Mr. Holmes, apparently it's going to take me several trips!! He's tough!

Shawn Massey

15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

About 4 years ago I stopped at the Amarillo Gun Club to see the facility. I will say that I could not have been treated any better. The club manager lent me his personal gun and _gave_ me shells to shoot. Since then I have made myself a promise that when I return to the area I will make it a point to go to the club and shoot.

Don'r know what problems are being referred to, but my experience was great.

JMHO

Jim Cruz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.