1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

am I too picky for my reload shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just wondering.Seems my reload shells are disappearing at an alarming rate.What I do is inspect every shell before putting them into my reload box.Looking at the crimp end I rotate shell using a finger nail pressing each crease of shell.If my finger nail hits a split that runs down the crimp,I pitch it as no good.So,being there's eight creases,is it unreasonable to pitch a shell with one split.I read where people get x amount of reloads per shell.Doesn't seem to matter much wheather they're gun clubs,sts, or Nitros,3x seems max for me,then the splits start showing.The red shells aren't any better.So,,what's your opinion,too picky,or just right.

Doug H.
  2. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

I pitch them when they wont crimp anymore.
  3. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

More picky than me for sure. Scotch tape can extend case life for a few more loads :)
  4. hmb

hmb Active Member

I think you should be more concerned about how the reloaded shell fits in the chamber of your gun. If it is a good fit and is not leaking shot, shoot it. HMB
  5. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

I load sts hulls more than 10 times. I kept track of one and it lasted 21 times
  6. Brady509

Brady509 Member

If the shot stays in runner through again if you shoot a break open. If your shooting a auto in doubles good hulls are probably best.

Brady
  7. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

I reload until I cannot get a good crimp.

Is scotch tape safe? Will it not melt and gum up a chamber or barrel?

Ed Ward
  8. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

I keep all my hulls the same age for reloading. I start with new once fired hulls and I put them in a labeled box so I know exactly how many times they have been reloaded. They are more consistent this way and their last reload they get pitched on the ground.
  9. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I pretty much do what miketmx does, start with 10 flats of fresh hulls, reload with a quick visual inspection and when I start pitching 2 or 3 (10%) out each box then I consider the whole lot done. Finish reloading them and let them hit dirt. With that said, I tend to get about 4-6 reloads from Gun Clubs, 10+ reloads from STS and about the same from the ribbed Federal GM hulls.

Greg
  10. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

I check the mouth (petals) for pin holes or splits, and stick a finger in the mouth to determine if the petals are stiff and burnt. It's obvious which shell to check by the bent in petals and burnt appearance. If I find any of those issues they go into the "one more reload box" then get reloaded once more and left on the ground. I don't keep track of the number of times a shell is reloaded.
  11. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

There is no way I would ever put tape on a shell! Lol! I have seen a guy duct tape the butt pad on his gun.
  12. warren

warren Member

This is when I pitch them. STS shot about 8 times.

warren
  13. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I pitch mine when they start getting splits in the case mouth that that extend to the bottom of the crimp. I also check the case mouths and if one is getting "soft", I pitch it. This prevents any bulged crimps and helps insure a good, tight crimp which will aid in the complete and correct burn of your powder charge.
  14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Two adjacent tears in the mouth usually leads to a wad not feeding right

Lower body splits are gone if I find them

Fast powders seem to be less sensitive to crimp strength than slower powder are

Crimp may matter more for light shot loads as well

regards

Now CF AA 28s last til they are missing a sector of crimp and even then they may get one more spanking :)
  15. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

A quick read through this thread sheds some light on the number of misfires and bloopers one witnesses on a trap range. Wow. I thought I was pushing my luck when I'm throwing away shells that are getting ratty on the crimp. We got people on here scotch taping hulls together just to get one more reload. Lol! Gosh guys splurge a little and get some new hulls.
  16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Rather than scotch tape, use candle wax to seal the crimp.
  17. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I am really happy with the crimps the guys at Federal put on my ammo :) Case life is perfect too - one firing.
  18. warren

warren Member

Every step you step and every stoop you stoop gives you one more step and one more stoop, so stoop over and pick up some good new emties it's good for you

warren
  19. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

To answer your original question, yes. You are slightly picky. -Aaron Schneider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.