1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Too Old Fashioned re: National Anthem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Why is it when some singers sing our National Anthem, they think this platform for "their" rendition of it. Others can sing it the way it was written as a tribute to our country. I know it has some notes that are hard to hit....but then there are other singers that can hit them.

When I hear it sung as written, I get chills; when someone does it their way I end up focusing more on the singer when they try to make it their own. Funny thing they don't do it on God Bless America....hmmm

This year, Back Street Boys sucked, Taylor Swift wasn't too bad, Los Lonely Boys were VERY GOOD and Patty LaBelle also sucked. She and the BSB spent more time with their vibrato warbling than with the song. OK rant over.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. Patti didn't even get the words right. That's embarrassing.

3. turmite

turmite Member

Here is one of my favorite rendetions! I don't know how to imbed youtube videos or I would do that.

4. turmite

turmite Member

Here is the other favorite.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Interpreting" the National Anthem "differently" is disrespectful, in my opinion. Mocking it, like Roseann Barr did by grabbing her crotch while caterwauling it... well hell, she might as well have burned the flag then whizzed on it.

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

didnt you know, today, its all about me and i

Bill

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

I think those in attendance are well within reasonable conduct to boo somebody who "farts in the car" like some of these performers do. I'd love to see it.

Can you imagine...Announcer: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please REMAIN standing, as management brings Ms. LaTwattia Jackson BACK out again, to earn her paycheck by singing the song OVER AGAIN until she gets it right..."

8. bigdogtx

This is my fav. Just like it was written.

9. bigdogtx

Good idea buzz.

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I too heard Patti Label last night and heard a brilliant performer miss-mamage OUR national anthem. What everybody misses is that this song is to be PRESENTED not PERFORMED.
    There are a few standouts that I remember; The Statler Brothers, recently Diamond Rio at a NASCAR race in Texas,no instrumentation music and five part harmony, and a Policeman opra tenor from New York.
    I would rather hear a lousy singer sing it with feeling as it is written than a real pro take liberties.
    Makes goose bumnps every time!!

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Big Dog,
    You are not old fashioned. Nothing irritates me more than some of these "stars" and their personal renditions of our National Anthem. As a result I now find myself paying even closer attention to how the National Anthem is sung anymore. These people should be screened before they are even allowed to sing our National Anthem. What the hell even gives them the right to think they can do that? Sing it correctly or sit down and shut up.

CSM Jon Reitz (Retired)

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I think Marvin Gaye was the first singer to do that. Then his father shot him.

13. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Dickgtax....lol, that's just wrong...

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Sing it as it was written. It's not that hard...............Roger

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As long as we're on a rant:

It's PER-I-LOUS

NOT PER-O-LIS!!!

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Totally agree but you can see by the younger generations attitude that they dont care. My three sons are 40, 42, 44 and they would not dream of being disrespectful to the flag or our anthem. Where in the hell were the parents that raised these iodiots out there today?? Before I retired ( recently) I got to the point whre I would throw away applications from people under 40, they just did not have the values I was looking for. It is sad because they will be running this country soon

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And not only that, take your hat off when its playing!

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't even like baseball but I saw that Patti sing last night and I was very disappointed to hear her massacre the National Anthem. Why can't they get someone like Reba McEntire who actually earned her fame the way she sang the Anthem. I also like the way Jordin Sparks can do it.

19. ragman

ragman TS Member

Whitney Houston has one of the best renditions

20. lacy

lacy TS Member

Listen to the Isaacs' version on You Tube. Great a capella version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nothing irritates me more than to hear the national anthem sing wrong