1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I the only guy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RRA, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RRA

RRA TS Member

Am I the only guy who has averaged 97+ on singles (ATA for 2009 and 2010)with a XT over/under and decided I would do better with XT top single combo? Well no such luck. My scores on singles for 2011 are averaging 91.

I shot doubles and singles yesterday and shot 91 on both. The doubles round felt like the good ole days with o/u barrels. Would I be nuts for sticking with the o/u barrels for everything and forgeting the top single?

Remind me again why I am better off with a combo!

Frustrated after a year...
    RRA

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Remind me again why I am better off with a combo!"

Obviously your not. Go with what works not what everybody else says or does. If i had a 97% average i would have left well enough alone. :)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think you should change the chokes in your O/U barrels. HMB

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just a thought, the bottom barrel of the XT, is more in line & may actually give you less felt recoil. Also, the O/U barrels are shorter & will enable you to move the gun quicker on harder shots. Remember Leo uses his o/u for singles--he knows what works. A lot of us are members of the gun of the year club, including my self. Get something that works and shoot the hell out of it--it will work.

Phil Berkowitz

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You're a Trap shooter dammit, and you can't leave well enough alone! I know guys who'll shoot 100 straights and then have me fiddle with their stocks and try as I do, there's no talking them out of it.

God bless you and your Trap shooting brethren!

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You're so right Tron, I know a shooter who won a state championship, 200 straight, immediately bought another gun---it took him two + years to undo the damge to his average that the "new" gun did. He's back in the groove again.

Phil Berkowitz

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tron...sshhhh! (quiet)....you're talking about "job security"...shooters love to fiddle. Best Regards, Ed

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Different POI?

9. twotimer

twotimer Member

One of the guys that shoots with us is fiddling with his stock so much that I told him when he dies we are burying him in an adjustable casket. Mike

10. RRA

RRA TS Member

Same ole story. I thought that if a XT was good, a combo would be better. I suspect if a guy had the time, money and patience to shoot a lot, the old habits could be broken. But, I have a choice, so I will go back to the O/U and get my confidence back.

I just had to whine about my frustration....

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Only an idiot would recommend a different gun when they are shooting 97+ at Singles. I don't care if you're using a .410, if you're shooting that well, why on God's green Earth would you want to change?

Alas, you are not the only one. Tron has no problem with job security. Just like Dentists, no matter how much they tell us, we won't take care of our teeth properly. It's the same with competition shooters.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have no way of knowing what is going on with your shooting .... but it ain't always the gun. Might be in this case but don't overlook other possibilities.

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

smooth and steady, the longer barrel requires more finesse than the shorter o/u barrels. way back when I was shooting my K-80 combo I would use the o/u on my jumpy days and the unsingle on my calm and collected days- seemed to work for me, I think I sustained a higher avg overall by utilizing the combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.