1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I out of touch or what???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Am I out of touch or what? My boy flew in yesterday from Sweden with his Fiancé and I asked my future daughter in law what she likes to eat when she goes to a nice restaurant?

She told me she likes ox. I asked my son what the f--- is Ox? He laughed, and said basically she likes steak. Now the last time I took my wife out for a steak dinner was in 1968 at the local Nino's steak house as they had a steak dinner for $3.95, Lobster was $4.95, and mixed drinks were 50cents.

So I let them pick out the restaurant and was told I needed to wear a suit. The last time I wore a suit was when I worked at the bank so I was not comfortable.

This restaurant was beautiful but there were signs that when I got the bill, all they needed to say to me was bend over.

First of all, some foreign speaking guy came out dressed in a white coat of some type with a large tray on wheels with all different types of steak and sea food on ice.

I started saying to myself, this meal is going to cost me more than $50.00 I bet. Each steak on this cart was the size of a bus steering wheel as most looked the size of a roast and I asked, can my wife and I split a meal?

The guy chuckled and said no, like he was making fun of me. They had no prices on the menu as everything was "at market price" which I am sure was code for your going to help pay for my son's first semester at Marquette university".

My wife and I and my future daughter in law order a rib eye, my son ordered a Porterhouse. My son ordered a bottle of wine and the guy in a fancy black outfit says "every good sir". To me that means, we are going to stick it to your father.

The meal was fantastic, and then we are asked if we would like desert? Once again, a guy rolls out a fricken cart with deserts on them. In my mind I am saying to myself, I don't want any f----- desert, but the three of them ordered something.

The guy comes with sparklers heats up one of the other deserts and I am saying to myself, that the gun I was thinking about purchasing this weekend has flown the coop. I was thinking that my chances of being able to buy the gun I want was about the same chance a worm has trying to survive in a hen house, no chance!

The meal, the desert, everything was great. Then the bill comes and I had to put on my glasses to try to stop me from having a panic attack. I said to my self are you sh----- me?

This meal cost me more than what my father made in one month. In a low voice my son whispers" let me pay for the tip". I look at him in disbelief and said, no thank you.

He than whispers "leave him 20%". I said in a quiet voice" are you sh----- me??????????

I had $400.00 in cash on me, and all I will say is that I had to use a charge card too. Every one thanked me, and as my wife and I are getting in to our car, she says "wasn't that a lovely dinner"?

I give her a look, and she says " don't be so cheap" I'm I a cheap sob or are these prices out of control? To top it off, my boy says the prices are so much lower than in Stockholm. All I did was glare at him in the rear view mirror on the way home. Before I forget, in 1968 at Nino's steak house for $3.95 I got a nice steak, soup or salad, a mountain of onion rings or a baked tater. I had to pay extra for each individual item. When did that sh-- start?

Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Ask your son if he liked his rehearsal dinner and why he didn't invite more guests since this was a one time deal.

3. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

You tell a great story! Haha! Since she was from out of the country, you should have taken them to a good old "US of A" BBQ joint. Could have been out the door for less than $ 100 bucks. So, what kind of gun AREN'T you buying this weekend?

My question is why do our adult kids cost us more money than when they were young and living with us??

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Yes, you are definitely out of touch. The last time my wife and I went to our favorite place- last summer, our total bill for the two of us was 270.00 with the tip. It was worth every penny.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Back in about the year 2000, I was at a business dinner at The Palm; no not in New York, in Dallas. The Maitre de came to our table and held up a lobster saying that it was $25 per pound. I asked him how large was the lobster he held up and he said , "Five pounds". I said, to no one in particular, "Wow, a $125.00 lobster".

6. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

What are you saving your money for? Your wife's next husband? Spend your money have fun. I love BYOBs. And I agree with dukefan about BBQ joints. Did they have fresh cut flowers on your table?

7. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

blizzard,

It was only worth every penny of $270, because you probably went home and got laid. Funny how a expensive meal serves as foreplay these days.

ROTFLMAO

Chuck

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

No you're not out of touch in my view. All cooking is - is changing the temperature of something.

Years ago I was in California and everybody gave me the name of this fancy world class resturant that "you must try". I did, got it rammed up the you know what, and to top insult unto injury I had to go find a McDonals after I left the place so I could have some food worth eating.

I grow the best food right out my back door in the garden.

I will admit to spending more in resturants now that I used to, and that is because the price of shooting has gone up so much. I relate prices to shooting components. 15 years ago that $40 tab for 2 at a midrange resturant was in my mind 3 bags of shot and a new box of AAs. I would've much rather had the shot, and it would be months before I headed out to visit resturant row. Now, that $25 I spend at the sports bar for a turkey club and a few drafts for just myself doesn't seem to horrible. I fiugre - heck that amount of money won't even buy me one bag of shot. LOL

9. senior smoke

A friend of mine is selling a TM1. I am left handed and the stock is cast left so I plan to purchase it.

Later that evening my son knew I wasn't happy about the cost of the meal and he offered to pay for it. I said no way, I guess I must be out of touch. My future daughter in law gave my wife and I a big hug and said thank you for taking them to such a nice restaurant. I guess it was worth it.

My first job paid ,87 cents per hour and I feel I had more spending power than even today. I can just hear my father say, "do you know how hard I have to work for a dollar? I'm not Rockefuller, let's get the he-- out of here"!

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Steve, just look at it this way - that $400 only cost you 10 bags of shot. Ouch! You're lucky you didn't have to pay for the meal when shot was $12.50 a bag, like it was not so many years ago. Then it would have been 32 bags of shot! LOL

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I would have told them I will wash the dishes to pay it off, I get $2,000 an hour, plus a 20% tip

There is no meal that is worth that much

12. senior smoke

The guy in the white coat laughed at me when I asked if my wife and I could split a meal. If my son and future daughter in law were not there, I would have chewed his a-- out over that chuckle.
    Steve

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I would have gotten up and left

No I wouldn't have, I wouldn't have gone there in the first place, I cook a mighty mean steak, or any other chunk of meat you prefer

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Duhhhh!

Out of touch .... wayyyy outta touch!

With today's inflation, Nino's $3.95 steak dinner is probably more like $30!

Before going to a place that you never heard of ... look them up on the internet for a review!

They will be rated as to quality and service PLUS cost ... $ to $$$$ ! You picked a $$$$ !

15. senior smoke

Ahab:
    I must be a dumb a--!
    When will I ever learn???
    Steve

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Are they still there? Go down to the County Market, spend about $40 on Sirloin filets, twice baked potatoes and a couple heads of iceberg to make blue cheese wedges. Tell your son to bring the wine. You cook the steaks on the gas grill out on the deck.

No tipping, better food (if you know how to season your steaks), everyone will be a lot happier and you'll have a "new" gun. Better luck next time, Stevo.

Bob Falfa

17. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

That's pretty damn expensive. The most expensive (though best) steakhouse I've ever been to was The Primehouse in downtown Chicago. $60ish a steak, but I can't imagine a bill above $400 for four people from a steakhouse. Must have been one hell of a bottle of wine and expensive deserts...

But hey, at the end of the day it's only money, and I'm sure it was much better than Outback.

-Trappy

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's nice to go out and enjoy a really nice dining experience, but you're right -- it does ruin the fun if you end up feeling like you were financially raped.

Speaking of steak, two weekends ago my wife and I enjoyed the biggest and most delicious Delmonico rib-eye steaks we're ever tasted, and they only cost $12 each. The butcher cut them fresh for me and I made them on my backyard grill in 12 minutes. I used a simple sea salt and cracked pepper rub and it was SO easy. Click the link to see how. And there wasn't any aftertaste of a $400 bill either, LOL.

The only question is whether I got lucky, or will I be able to produce the same results every time? We'll see.

-Gary

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And I bet no one offered to even pay part of the tip.

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I popped for dinner for six at an Italian restaurant in New York last summer. We had 2 bottles of excellent wine(so my wife says, I had San Pellegrino water). The joint was owned by family friends from Abruzzi, so there were lot's of goodies for us that weren't on the menu. The food was fantastic. My bill was close to 600 bucks, excluding tip. Would I do it again? Maybe. Everybody had a swell time, so it was worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.