1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I getting a good deal on lead?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

    richrob TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2007
    Messages:
    335
    I went to the recyclers today and asked about tire weights, they took me out back and showed me an about halfway filled 55 gallon drum and said $0.30/lb. It weighed out at 960lbs. I didnt have enough cash so I said I would be back in the morning and asked if they could move it into 5 gal bucks so I could get it back out of the truck.

    Should I be buying all of it?

    Thanks, Rich
     
  2. Jim101

    Jim101 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,944
    Location:
    Knob Noster, Mo
    Yep!!!!!!!!!!!
     
  3. jbmOU

    jbmOU Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2007
    Messages:
    601
    Buy it all, thats a great price!
     
  4. Shootrman

    Shootrman Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    770
    I agree
     
  5. phirel

    phirel TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    9,556
    Wheel weights are about 80% usable lead by weight. The remaining 20% is scrap stuff. And, you are paying 30 cents a pound for the steel drum that is holding the wheel weights. All of this would push the cost of the actual lead to close to 40 cents a pound.

    Pat Ireland
     
  6. richrob

    richrob TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2007
    Messages:
    335
    Thanks for that helping me tell myself its worth it.

    I do understand that not all of it is useable, and I have taken that into account. Also, the actual weight was 980, they took 20 off to account for the plastic container it was in. -Rich
     
  7. Haskins Bill

    Haskins Bill TS Member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Messages:
    777
    Look out for the ones that have ZN on them they are zinc and will mess up your pours!!! Look at every damn one of them as you make your ingots, don't asume anything. Jeep in Toledo switched over to all zinc a few years ago to meet Euoropean Union rules.
     
  8. Dave P

    Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,530
    Location:
    Canton, Il.
    Are you paying for the weight of the barrel too? I bought some a couple of weeks ago and was sorting them out a little to get the rubber, stems, cig.butts out and found a razor blade sharp side up with one of my fingers. Careful.
     
  9. Dr.Longshot

    Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    5,721
    Wheel weights are being bought up for .80 cents per pound.
     
  10. richrob

    richrob TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2007
    Messages:
    335
    No I didnt have to pay for the weight of the barrel, they deducted that. I got a decent look at it as it was being dumped into the 5 gal buckets, it has some valve stems, but appeared to be mostly lead weights. All in all Im pretty happy.

    If someone wants to give me $0.80/lb, they can come buy all I have. -Rich
     
  11. Jornski

    Jornski TS Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2006
    Messages:
    81
    Here is the spot price for lead wheel weights
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.