1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I getting a flinch???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross817, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross817

Ross817 TS Member

So Im mainly a skeet shooter, and watch trapshooters.com for the invaluable information on Perazzi's and shotgun shooting in general. Here is my question. I have gone from a consistant score of 24-25 on the skeet fields, to around 19-20! Im missing targets that are normally extremely easy to me. Everyone that I shoot with has been saying my leads look good but im shooting high. Is this a sign of a developing flinch? I shoot only 1oz Rem. factory shells and recoil has never really affected me as far as discomfort goes.

Is there some kind of practice technique to eliminate this possible flinch without going to a release trigger on my MX?

Also Im sort of unclear as how a release trigger reverses a flinch.

Thanks alot,

Ross

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

You are going to get a thousand different suggestions I would bet. I don't think I would consider a release. I just wonder if you could be lifting your
    head off of the stock as you shoot. I have to fight that from time to time.
    Keep wood (head) to wood (stock). Hard to say for sure what is going on but slumps are a pain. Colonel

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Ross:

Nothing in your post even remotely suggests your problem is a flinch.

If you were consistently breaking 24/25's before and are breaking 19/20's now, a likely suspect is your fundamentals. You are probably doing something different - coming out of the stock for example - without realizing that you are doing so.

As for release triggers, nobody knows for sure WHY they work. They just do. However, there will probably be one or more dope(s) along shortly to tell you they aren't necessary at all, or they're dangerous, or they're a gimmick, and/or that they don't work at all. Those opinions are generally expressed by people who don't have a flinching problem and know little if anything about the subject.

sissy

PS: When a shooter's scores drop consistently and persistently without a recognized reason (wind, weather, fatigue, new gun, etc.) the smart move is to concentrate on fundamentals. Unintentional changes in one's posture, gun mount, foot positions, vision, hold points, etc. are all potential causes of a slump. Work to be sure your fundamentals are 'right' and your scores will show it.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Check your trigger poundage. That's the first thing to check when these things happen...at least in the late Art Blatt's book. A trigger problem, for example, varying poundage, will really mess up your game.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

You WILL know if you are flinching.

Have a buddy load your gun for you and have him hand you an empty gun randomly.

Don Verna

PS: I DO NOT flinch because of recoil. You CAN flinch with a release trigger - but it helps a lot for some reason. Maybe "relaxing" trigger finger to let off the shot creates less "anxiety" than pulling on it.

6. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I have problem with flinching both with a pull trigger and going to release trigger did not help at all ... in fact it caused more problems ... you have to maintain a death grip on the trigger to make sure it will not release ... these things are extremely sensitive ... with a pull trigger not the same problem ... my flinch is jerking the gun with the hand on the forearm and I do it with both types of triggers ... for me it was a waste of money ... Kreighoff factory triggers are not cheap ... I started shooting my sons gun KS-5 with a pull trigger again to try it ... and if feels so much better ... trigger control is so much easier ... I am going to keep shooting it for a while ... and it probably won't be long before I removed the hook and change the KX-5 back to pull ... as I said it was a total waste of time and money for me

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you wanna see yourself flinch with a release have your buddy load your gun for you and hand it to you randomly!

Same result-different trigger. The body's anticipation of recoil is the same with release or pull and is not actually a flinch. Flinching is the inability of one small part of your body to work as suggested by your brain-your finger.

Actually, in many cases, poor trigger control results in head lifting. Try getting a better grip on both the forend and stock and you'll likely see a difference!!

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

dmm is mostly correct but needing a death grip on a release to prevent accidential discharge is usually a result of a trigger being much too fast for that individual. KX-5 releases are noted for having little let-off and can be a problem for some shooters.

Jerking the forend to the right or left is often an eye-dominance issue not solved by a release trigger!!

9. Ross817

Ross817 TS Member

I really appreciate all the input ot my slump, hopefully thats all it is. I guess tomorrow will be fundamental and head in the gun practice.

Thanks,

Ross

10. ElmerThud

ElmerThud TS Member

Has your eyesight prescription changed? Have your eyes checked....

Hugh

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you miss a bird stay on the station and repeat the shot until you are breaking it. Experiment a little with your hold point, if you are shooting over the bird, hold a little lower. HMB

12. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Chango2, Question, who was Art Blatt. And is his book available.

Thaanks, Gunnerx

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Have you changed hearing protection by chance? Loud noise is one of those things that slip up on you so gradual, you'll hardly notice it's effect! Chango2s advice about a trigger changing it's dynamics due to worn pins/springs and dirt can also slip into your game with disastrous results! The trigger hand does the controlling of a shotgun, the forehand is merely a rigid rest holding the forward weight of the gun and shouldn't guide the gun at all!! Move your upper body and gun as a single unit while maintaining control with the trigger hand whether it be a pull or release! What you describe isn't a flinch or even the beginning of one!!

Hap

14. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i suggest you spend some of your hard earnt money on a coaching clinic with tod bender it will be the best thing you have ever done with your money and you will not have to spend time and money on a release or any other quick fixes just ammo and good times!!! good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.