1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddbudd, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

In my dealings with two different dealers I wonder if I am being unreasonable.
    In the first instance I bought two Ljutics a few years apart for a total of over
    $12,000. Later I went back to the dealer wanting to purchase a Ceasar Guerini
    combo. I looked the combo over and was ready to buy. I asked about trading one of the Ljutics. The replied very tersely that he didn't want any more used guns.
    When I said I bought the gun from him he said that didn't matter. I left withoutbuying the combo thinking to myself that no matter what he had for sale
    in the future and how much I might want it I would never ever buy anything from him.
    The second dealer sold me three guns through the years without my asking for or receiving one cent of discount. I recently emailed him to inquire about buying
    number four. This time I asked about maybe cutting a bit of a break. The great discount he offered was $50. That came to two percent. I wrote back that buying a fourth gun from him I thought ten percent would be fair. The response was sorry we couldn't satisfy you. So I passed on the gun and added him to my never buy from list. Am I wrong?
    Bud Edwards

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

wrong on secound count, right on first. JMO

3. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I dont think you are asking too much at all, i would have done the same as you.

4. Norsky

Norsky Member

I don't think your wrong because it is your money and you get to determine where you spend it. For example, if you had wanted a 25% descount and they offered you 20%, it's still your right to walk away. The dealers are doing what is right for them and your doing what's right for you. I don't see anything wrong with either the dealers not reducing their prices or you asking for a better deal. I love the free enterprise system.
    Regards,
    Ray

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

It takes 2 to make a deal, guns--cars--boats--etc. when I was in business my regular customers did get better prices but there was a point where I couldn't go any lower. In todays market I would have thought they might have re-sharpened their pencil, but I don't know their circumstance. Ross Puls

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

aren't we in a down economy? do these guys have any room to negotiate prices on slow moving luxury items? think of all the money they have tied in sitting inventory. by the same token, if you let 200 bucks break the deal, you just made my point from the other perspective - buyers don't have the expendable income to spend on luxury items. good luck with it

7. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

FWIW, I don't think you are being unreasonable. In the first case, you certainly deserved better than a "terse" reply. In the second case, perhaps something could have been done to sweeten the deal for you...merchandise...etc...at least something to make you feel the dealer was making an effort.

A very (extremely) successful gun dealer once said to me "To be successful in this business, you don't have to like guns, but you do have to like people."

I think he pretty much summed it up.

bluedsteel

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

You bought two guns over a period of years and then wanted to trade one back - dealer says he is out of the used gun business but you want him to do it anyway because that is where you bought the gun. He says no and you walk away in a huff - are you being unreasonable? Yes.

You buy three guns over the years from another dealer and when you bring it to his attention he offers a $50 discount on a $2,500 gun (2%) but you want $250 off the price - he says no and you walk away in a huff - are you being unreasonable? Absolutely -

In the first case you want someone to change their business practice because for some reason you think buying a couple of guns over a multi year period warrants special consideration. Same thing in the second case but now you think you are are deserving of a mark down in price that is likely to be below his cost. I've purchased 8 guns in the last six months - two from a local dealer and six from Bud's Guns - Maybe I'm a sucker, but I don't believe either of these businesses owe me anything other than prompt, courteous service.

RM

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I honestly believe that way too much emphasis gets put on the bottom dollar and everything else gets lost. Sales is not a complete numbers game, unless you are buying a used car or shopping at a discount store. Of course, that becomes a two way street also, as many sellers/dealers lose track of the value of relationships.

I think it's a little premature to write someone off, before you've surveyed the rest of the landscape. If the people you are currently doing business with aren't treating you worse than any other dealer, then what is the beef? It sounds a little like some people are willing to get upset because they aren't getting the preferential treatment the believe they are owed.

I had a charter customer once tell me that he thought I should give him a free charter because of all the charters he had taken with me over the years. I responded that I thought he should start paying double for all his charters because I always take such good care of him and work so hard for him. He never came back and I never wanted him to. My obligation is to do business with you today, now, and make it equitable for you and I.

I don't think you have a right to come back later and tell me there should be more for you and less for me for the privilege of servicing your needs. That's a one way street.

10. reddbudd

In the first instance he was not and still not out of the used gun business.
    If he didn't think it was worthhaving one more used gun on his rack to sell a
    $9000 gun thats a strange business practice. In the second instance I would have been willing to try to find a middle ground but his $50 dollar offer was it. Recently I drove to DeVault's to look at the Ljutic Space Gun combo and the left handed Infinity on their web site. It was my first dealing with Mr. Devault. I never even thought of asking for a discount. I just said I'd buy the
    Infinity. I did and I am very satisfied with transaction. I just feel that spending over $12,000 even if it is over several should get a customer some
    consideration. I was never offered a hat or t-shirt from either of these dealers. Maybe I was foolish to return to a dealer that can't even spring for a hat.
    Bud

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If your getting 25% margin, and your customer wants all of it....what's left....

Somehow I think we overestimate how rich the dealers are getting....

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

No matter the situation, it isn't what you say but how you say it. In both cases I think it could have been handled better and made the sale.

You need to understand that there are lot of people who are in business that should not be in business due to their people skills and also lot of people have sold guns (or whatever) because times were good and not because they were good business people. Now with the business climate the way it is, many operators are having a rude awakening and wonder why.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The answer is, you are right, but both dealers are right too.

Both of you have particular needs, and in this case those needs are mutually exclusive.

So in this great capitalist society, the solution is to find a dealer who will meet your needs.

If you've exhausted all your possibilities, then perhaps you are indeed being unreasonable.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"I was never offered a hat or t-shirt from either of these dealers"

What?? Nevermind.................I'm leaving this one alone.

I think you are expecting way too much from these dealers. Many times their profit margins are not alot.

15. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

It depends what the dealer mark up is. If they operate with a low mark up say 15% to begin with and they give you 10% that leaves them 5% for all the other operating expenses including his bread and butter. Not worth it to be in business for that...

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bud:

You sound reasonable to me but consider these points:

1) The original price on a gun plays a big role. For example, when I go to my local gunshop and a plain-Jane BT-99 is priced at $1500 I know I can easily get 10-15% off. But Jaquas would tell me to pound salt. Their posted price is already $300-$350 lower and is therefore much more firm on that particulat shotgun.

2) "Delivery" plays a role. If you're respectful and make a friendly offer, it's much more likely to be well received. Also make it clear that your offer is cash. This saves them the credit card fee.

-Gary

17. reddbudd

grntitan,
    What's wrong with wondering why I was never offered any sort of complimentary
    token when attending shoots I see a lot of their hats and t-shirts on shooters.
    Makes me wonder just how much they must of spent.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think you need to ask them that. Maybe the people you saw wearing those items bought 'em. Personally i don't expect freebees from anybody no matter how much i spend. If i get them that's great. 99% of the time i get nothing free with my gun purchases. No big deal. I just think you are expecting to much from these dealers. I don't think it would break a dealer to give out a free hat or shirt but i have never thought once of how come i didn't get free stuff. That's just me i guess.

19. Beni

Beni Member

Over all these years have you solicited those two dealers other than guns ,i.e. ammo ,clothes , cleaning products, reloading equiptment. How about have you recomended anyone to buy from them prior to your disapointment, Im sure dealers of all sorts know word of mouth advertising means alot. By the way i didnt get a hat either!!!!!! beni

20. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I wouldn't consider you that great of customer. Unless you have spent many dollars in ammo and things not mentioned.

I personally buy 5-10 guns a year from the local dealers as well as shells and any other thing I may need, they treat me fair and I get first shot at some of the stuff they know I want. Recently I was far away and a friend stopped by the one store owner asked him if I was still looking for a Pre 64 Mod 70 in 264 win mag answer was yes,Store called said had one discription fit what I wanted asked him to hold for my return 5 days later I liked it not mis represented know in my safe on to the next.

And no shirt or hat,But a fine rifle at a fair price by people I like not Cabela's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.