1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I a curmudgeon?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GK Chesteron, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GK Chesteron

GK Chesteron TS Member

I like break open shotguns, particularly side by sides. I've had a few pumps over the years (Mossberg 500, Winchester 97, Remington Express 870) but I've never enjoyed shooting them and am back to my Beretta MkII (for trap) and my Savage Fox Model B (for everything else, including homeland security) Now I realize pumps and autloaders are considered the cat's meow when it comes to protecting one's castle but darn it, I feel more confident with a break open double.
    I'm curious,
    Is there anyone else with like similar preference?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What's a curmudgeon? HMB

3. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

Definition of CURMUDGEON

1: archaic : miser

2: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Maybe a Putz or a Dweeb....but definately not a curmudgeon.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

GK,

Good question! I married in 1965 and, being a gun nut from a gun nut family, I wished to teach my new wife how to protect herself while I traveled for a living and was gone alot. First, I pulled out the pistol...typical home protection. Realized she could not pull the hammer back and that she was shooting a small single projectile which meant she needed to be accurate. Sooooo, I bought a break gun with a short barrel, cut the stock down. No need for difficult loading process as with a pistol, pump or auto. Darling, hit the lever, drop in the shell, close the gun, point it in the general direction of your target and pull the trigger. A pistol of significant caliber was also too heavy for my little girl to handle while the break gun sat in her arms like a broom stick...easy. There are many who disagree with this approach as most home security guns are handguns but for someone who does not regularily shoot and not accustomed to or trained with firearms...well I think I made the best decision for all concerned at my house. It was kept loaded and hidden behind the curtain next to her bed for easy access.

miltie

6. Ducky

Ducky Member

Sounds like to me!!!!!

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

That would be me...in spades!!

8. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Takes one to know one.....I are one.

Rick

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I used to shoot over and unders. When several liberal governments around the world turned against semi auto shotguns I decided that I needed to shoot them. I have learned to love semi autos. That being said there is something nostalgic about side by sides. I think of the Wild West and the old movies. Even futuristic movies use them. I saw a little bit of an old Mad Max movie last night and Mel Gibson was using a side by side. It fit the part better than any other gun would have.

10. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

GK: For my homeland security, I prefer a .45 with 185 gr. HP and a laser sight.

Mike

11. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

Wilford Brimley is my hero. Might that make me a carmudgeon?

12. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Yup, sure nuff, but I prefer a 20ga pump loaded with #6 high velocity with my Kimber as a back up with 185 gr hp's
    Woody

13. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

"it was kept loaded and hidden behind the curtain next to her bed for easy access."

Just be careful when someone's little kids (married in 1965 -- assume you don't have little kids) come over and accidentally get their hands on a loaded shotgun...That could be unfortunate.

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

MS YAN

That was in 1965 and I was 19 years old. We had NO children at that time and kept our bedroom door locked full time. Your post was an excellent one and words that should be well heeded.

Thanks,

milt

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you call me a curmudgeon ... I will whack you with my cane!

16. maka

maka Member

When you can afford a new K-Gun, P-Gun, Seitz, etc. Then complain how much the new feed for it cost. Then you know!!!!!!!

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Being from Kentucky, the best home protection is conversation and gentle persuading. I feel quite sure this would prevent any robber form hurting you or taking any of your belongings. Also, keep your cell phone handy so you can call the police that one of your fellow humans is angered and you are going to try to convince him to reject his recidivist's ways.

Oh my gosh, I've been in a liberal nightmare and just woke up. Please reject the above statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.