1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Always the 12th Bird

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two suggestions-- First join the ATA and see if the 12th bird remains a problem at a registered shoot. If you do this, at least we will get a new member and that is good. If you miss the 12th bird in the first ATA event, on the next event, simply shoot the 13th bird before you shoot the 12th bird.

It is very strange what our minds can make us do.

Pat Ireland

2. Gilly

Gilly TS Member

odawgp,

Just a suggestion, you may be covering the bird with you gun placement and when the target comes out from under your barrel you jump at it.

Bob Gilchrist

West Virginia

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dont shoot the 12th bird shoot the 12th target instead ... sounds simple or you could get an old guy to stand behind you and ... oh wait ... thats another thread.

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Odawgp:

Ok before you start the round ask to shoot 1 bird before the round and then when you get close to the 12th bird in the round then you will be thinking well this would really be the 13th bird if I count the first bird I shot.

So now would you be missing the 11th bird or 13th one since you was to act like the first shot was part of the round.

Maybe after doing this a couple of times you will decide it's to confusing to think about which bird is which and elimanate the 12th bird syndrome.

Hope this helps.

Foghorn

5. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Shoot the trap house instead. Why waste the shot, when you can gain a psychological advantage over the other shooters and have some fun as well at the same time. Neil Winston will be proud of you for patterning your gun. AJ

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

That's simple to control. when you reach the 12th bird simple put the gun to your shoulder call for it and then turn it down. Then shoot the 13th. Now you
    are on your way to a perfect 25. - Jim

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Trolling, Trolling, Trolling, Keep those SUCKERS Moving!! RAWHIDE

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

you need professional help.....a shrink can probe deeeep into your mind and find out why the #12 haunts your being....or not!!!

9. Gilly

Gilly TS Member

Carl,
    Been a long time since we spoke. The grandchildren (5 now) the business, my new English pointer and my dislike for the way the ATA is being run have reduced my shooting schedule.
    Shoot Well and God Bless You.

Bob

10. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Quit counting targets......very bad habit.

JMHO

Jim C

11. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Jim Elliott

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the target be scored as a "lost target" since the gun didn't misfire and it was a legal (within ATA limits) target by the score keeper? My advice is to quit counting and concentrate on one target at a time.

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

First, I find it difficult to believe that every 12th target is a straightaway. That doesn't seem possible with the operation of today's trap machines.

Straightaways are not always straightaways. Rather, they are slight angles that go unrecognized by shooters. With the addition of a slight swing error, these slight angles can easily be lost.

Given that possibility, what first may have been just a coincidence, is now a self fulfilling prophesy. In other words, you are getting what you expect or fear, a lost target.

The idea of using a mantra is a good one, in my opinion. It should be part of the five-second routine just before calling for a target. And by all means, keep it simple as was suggested. You might include saying something to yourself like, "I'll get this one" or "This one is dead".

Visualizing a puff of smoke off the end of your barrel is also good. It is part of the positive pre-call attitude you are trying to create. I would not suggest visualizing a straightaway, however but rather an smoked target off the end of your barrel with no particular direction.

The time a shooter muse actually concentrate during a 25-target squad is very short, probably not longer than 30 seconds. The only time it is necessary is during the mantra through the time you fire and swing through the target.

During the times between your targets, if you have to think about targets, think about the next one, not the last one you may have lost. Also try to stop counting targets, something that is much easier said than done.

As a last choice, do not shoot at the 12th target. Let be scored as lost. Then, next time, you will be shooting at the 13th target and not the 12th. If that doesn't help, intentionally miss the 12th target for a couple of squads. It MUST be a planned, intentional miss, though.

Know that the problem originates in your mind. A change in your attitude will me necessary to solve it.

Rollin

13. ChetH

ChetH Member

Do you always start on the same post? If so, change that and report back.

chet

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin - I have a problem with your above post that indicates the angles thrown by trap machines are random. When I am on post one, I get more than my share of hard left angles and when I get to post 5, the right angles become much too common. I believe the trap machine recognizes my call and does a good job of playing tricks on me. Is there such a thing as little trap Devils at gun clubs?

Pat Ireland

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pat ... maybe you could change it so all shots will be straight away shots and thus make the game easy which will help in your promotion of the ATA and trapshooting. They all break if you know how to do it no matter what angle they fly.

16. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

BLA, BLA, BLA, BLA and BLA!!!

Although there were a couple of good suggestions, I can see only one way to fix an obviously psychological problem, a psychological solution of course!

If you’re convinced that this is a 12th target issue then simply shoot 11 targets then when it’s your turn to shoot tell your squad that you have to take a piss and it can’t wait. Go to the bathroom clear you head, come back out and just as before, shoot the 1st bird. You might have to repeat twice per round.

Other good suggestions already made, start from a different position and stop counting. Both are excellent psych fixes for a psych problem. Good luck!

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pat....I like the hard lefts off post 1 and the hards rights off post 5....it's the @!@#@$!! straightaways that give me nightmares!!

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.