1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Always on topic, let's talk bead sight color!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoggy, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

To aim or not to aim? That is the question. Funny how I can snap shoot with my model 12. Never look at the sights , barrel etc and shoot constant 22-24's Rarely 25's that way. But if I look at barrel relation to bird I'll get 1 or 2 more birds on average. Had an XS Skeet I shot that way with good results but again 1/2 aiming got me 1 or 2 more birds. So what's the deal? Also snap shooting I'm hitting the birds much closer. Guess I'll always be a 92-97 shooter with an occasional 100 in the mix.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For clay sports, I prefer a red flourescent fiberoptic rod in my Uni-Dots. I wear vermillion glasses, and the dot and clay have increased brightness, the sky is subdued, and foliage is darkened. At night, white or red clays are the same, and there is no streaking of the white clays with these glasses. Grass is made much darker and is less distracting under lights. The rod and clay are the only things I can see in the night sky, and it's kinda like a video game. My scores often go up a a bird or two at night. One drawback is right at sunset. This combination does not work well, as the clays and sight disappear in the red sky.<br>
    <br>
    For field hunting, I prefer light gray or clear glasses, so a red or green sight works best. However, when I'm in an area with a lot of other hunters, like pheasant hunting, I wear the vermillion glasses because any florescent orange vests and hats are made more visible. A red sight works best here.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

One-eyed Jay here -

Since most of my shooting is dusk to dark with decent lighting, my preference runs toward fluorescent green HiViz pipes, 'cause I shoot with Ranger "Medium Yellow" and those cause the sights to pop.

As for aiming... using one eye pretty much forces me to aim, but its more subconscious... I set up, call for the bird and shoot, not really thinking about the sight picture or bird-bead relationship.

Jay Spitz

4. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I just recently went back to a white bead permanently. I had a orange on a gun and a fluorescent green and hated them both. Orange never really made sense to me, orange bead--orange targets, but I can not speak for the people with vision issues.
    I think my decision to go back to white is the fact that at one time in the past that was all there was available to me. Learning to shoot as a kid with either white or metal bead was something I got used to. My sight picture is better with either white or metal.
    Once again this probably falls under personal preference.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have put the Hi Viz small green pipe in all my tournament guns. As a left handed, left-eye-dominant shooter that shoots right handed and two eyed without a patch, the Hi Viz is so obvious in my peripheral vision that I do not bead chack. It is painfully obvious where it is! After 50 years, I am not going to change.

When I tried the orange pipes, I had good results with them too. Like Baskin-Robbins, there is a flavor for everyone! LOL

6. C H S

C H S TS Member

I agree with bob. My gun finally fits well enough that I don't need the beads to check preshot alignment and they are just a distraction after that.

Andy

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a red Uni-Dot fiber optic bead on my TMX but over many years it filled up with rain water and turned "Phil Kiner Black" until I could dry it out with a pipe cleaner. I broke targets either way funny how the black bead was still a good reference against a gray sky. Anyway over the years my red fiber optic lost its bright color so I replaced it with a green Uni-Dot this year and presto my averages are the same as with the red color. Incidentally last fall during the Western Grand I could not even see my red bead in Handicap due to the shadow of the big trees that were behind me. I learned to "Use the force, Luke" on those targets. I decided that day to get a green Uni-Dot. Kay Ohye (with his trusty rib blinder) won the Handicap that day but he didn't have the trees behind him on his bank so There! I forgot the moral of that story.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If your looking at the bead and don't keep your eyes on the targe, at all times you will miss. One cannot look at two things at once. I've found if I even see the bead in realationship to the target I'm shooting to slow.

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Black

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I thing vermillion or possibly something of a slightly less obtrusive shade should suffice. However, if one wants a complementary color scheme, a nice shade of light blue to offset the deep rust blue of the barrels and rib would be acceptable. Jake

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I guess you have never seen Harlan Campbell Jr or for that matter Pat Ireland!

12. C H S

C H S TS Member

Harlan's light pipe is 1/8" in diameter and bright chartreuse green. He explains that you need something you can see when your gun shoots 18 to 24 inches high.

Andy

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

small green highviz...its the last one i have. I have a tendancy to grab barrel near sights when tighten/loosening chokes.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

where is piddle from?

maybe piddle is blinded by color

lol

Piddle piddle piddle my bonnie piddle

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

White.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.