1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Altitude and pattern density

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MtnGun, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Does altitude effect how tight a pattern is? Does a shell/choke combination shoot tighter at high altitude or at lower?

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

MtnGun, I would think it would affect it somewhat. If you shot in a vaccum, the shot would never spread out without the resistance of the air. That is a good question though. If you are shooting a mile or so above sea level, do you use a more open choke? I used to play golf in Park City Utah, and that was almost a two club difference with less air resistance. Mike

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

In a word "don'tworryaboutit". This new question should be pretty good. I think I'll make some popcorn and sit back and watch!!! Break-em all. Jeff

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I'm curious too. I shoot at above 6000 feet most of the year and at below sea level in the winter. I don't notice a difference but that means zip. Rich

5. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Phil Kiner should know. Hey Phil??? Jr

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Pattern your gun at both altitudes and see if there is any difference!!!!

Bob Lawless

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Is not the key variable the density of the air? The higher you are above sea level, the less dense the air, all other variables being equal. However, a key variable is the relative humidity. I would conjecture that at low elevation and low humidity, the air density may be less than the air density at higher humidity and higher altitude.

All in all, I don't think that altitude will make that much difference.

The air density probably has more effect on target speed than shot speed as targets are larger and less dense than shot.

Ed Ward

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Humid air is less dense than dry air.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My bad ...

Humid air is less dense than dry air because a molecule of water (M ˜ 18 u ) is less massive than either a molecule of nitrogen (M ˜ 28) or a molecule of oxygen (M ˜ 32). About 78% of the molecules in dry air are nitrogen (N2). Another 21% of the molecules in dry air are oxygen (O2). The final 1% of dry air is a mixture of other gases. (From the Wikipedia)

Still, air density will have an effect on the speed of targets and shot.

I should have conjectured that as elevation increases, air becomes less dense and that as humidity decreases air becomes less dense. Low elevation and low humidity air is more dense than higher elevation and higher humidity air.

Did anybody mention temperature or wind velocity? Elevation alone is but one of several factors that affect target or shot speed.

Maybe it’s best to forget everything and just break the target.

Ed Ward

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've patterned two guns at 40 yards at each of Spanish Fork and Cheyenne. Patterns are way, way tighter at both those high elevations than at the 1000 feet I do most of my patterning at. Of course I have all the data, all the pellet-count numbers, and even a few assertions about what it means.

I'll get it on Claytargettesting.com anon.

Neil

11. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

The important thing to remember is that the shot doesn't know, and the bird doesn't know, the gun/choke, etc. doesn't know...but YOU know, and that will weigh on your mind, affecting sleep, eating and drinking habits. But mostly, when you mount the gun and call pull, you'll be thinking about it, and...LOST! But maybe that's just me.

Jeff

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When Dale Amos of Utah averaged .9827 on 2,200 targets from the 27 yard line in 1992. I think he only missed about 38 targets. Did the altitude play a part? I think most of his targets were shot at Spanish Fork? Clyde

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Altitude certainly played a part, Clyde, but Dale's amazing ability to break long-yardage targets was the main determinant for sure. All Dale did was reduce the chances that he would lose a bird on which he had done everything right. And to post scores like that you have to do everything right all the time.

It is my view that, in the Midwest, at Sparta, Vandalia, and the Cardinal Center, shotguns are about at the limit of their ability to break them all from the 27 and that's if you shoot quite fast. At high altitude, that limit is found farther back and so the odds of a loss when the bird is perfectly pointed is reduced. Or, alternatively, you have a bit more time to make the shot you want to.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dense air effect on shotgun pellets