1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to shootoffs ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by buddy123, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

When we elect to attend ATA shoots, we know that we are committing to long days at the club.We usually start shooting by 9 AM and often the last event finishes at somewhere between 5 Pm and 8 PM . Then shootoffs start. My thinking is that with all ready long days and long travel times the ATA should try to find some other way to settle tie scores.
    Do others feel the same way?
    Pete Giddings-Canada

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Arm wrasslin???

Guy B.

3. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

Cage match?

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

quick roll in the parking lot.

tony

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

There's always the proverbial coin flip...

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The Lewis class alternative is used quite a bit around here.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

guess a number between 1 and 10.

tony

8. motrap

motrap Member

Slayer: Just curious .... how does a Lewis Class settle shoot-offs ? ...Rudy

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Miss and Out" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Split the money if it is a money (no trophy) event.

If there is a trophy but its not a major shoot, ask the tied shooters if they would like to settle the contest with a game of chance, something like cutting cards. Many times they would prefer this method.

If you must shoot off, then be ready for that by keeping your events moving and separated by no more than 10 minutes between events. If you are short of traps then shoot 2 rounds per house before advancing a squad. You don't need to shut everything down to eat lunch either just keep the event moving. If your shoots take as long as you say then there is plenty of time for people to eat and relax without shutting everything down. Rotate your trap help to provide breaks for them but again ... don't stop the shooting.

You should look for the opportunities to improve the flow of the shoot anytime you don't hear gunfire.

11. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Ene mene mini mo, catch a tiger by the toe, ....., or whatever variation range management desires. This time eternal phrase has settled many a problem, from baseball player selection to dance partners.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have been in a very few shoot offs and I would not want to see a tie decided any other way.

It is a shooting contest - not a coin toss or luck. Let the best man/woman win.

If someone is too tired, old, sick, etc they lose. It may be the only way an excellent shot will ever beat Leo. It was painful to watch him at the Grand but you had to admire him.

Last year - they named co-winners for the Clay Target Championship. Maybe after running another 200 straight in a shoot off, the participants could be polled. If one guy wanted to shoot they would keep shooting to the death. If they agree to share the top spot - that is OK.

Another option is to set 5 hole 55 yard targets for the shoot-off - all targets must be shot and only a broken bird would be "illegal". At least it is not a coin toss.

Don Verna

13. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I'm with Don on this. I,ve shot off and flipped coins, but the only true deciding factor is a shoot off. Anything else is just plain luck, not representative of your shooting or mental game. I'm for a shoot off in Championship events, but can go along with a coin flip on club shoots where there is nothing to gain, but the other 1/2 of the purse that wouldn't pay for the shells used to shoot off.

14. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I say keep it the way it is... and when it gets down to the final two, let them decide. I don't see anything wrong with the current system. Its the most exciting part of the day!

All the best,

Walker

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I tied by breaking targets, I would prefer to win by breaking targets. This year at Sparta, the all knowing Tourneyment Director had all dbl.s & sgl.s decided by carry over except for the last day. It was not popular on the grounds. PS, along with eliminating all added money to class & category shooters.

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Miss and Out! I like it also.
    I watched Ray Lee and Vince Valos shoot off in Jacksonville one year, after each 25 they added turns to the machine, I believe they finally flipped. Jake

17. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

LONG RUN FROM THE FRONT

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

At our Gun Shoot we give away a rifle for each 100 targets. After everyone has shot, a score among all those scores shot is drawn at random, and everyone with that score is in the shootoff, miss and out. Sometimes the shootoffs can get quite populated, while others may be won outright. For example, this year in our Event 5 (100 Singles) one shooter was really struggling with a gun that didn't fit and was beating her up. She finished with a 42, but her score was drawn, and she won the rifle without a shootoff. In contrast, in Event 1 (100 Singles) there were nine scores of 100, and 100 was drawn. We put in a wedge in the Superstar so that the targets were traveling about 70 yards, and set it in the #5 hole, and commenced the shootoff, miss and out. All nine guys had a shot from station #1, and then we moved to station #2, where the first guy from the previous round moved to the end of the line, and so on. After station #5 we had lost only about three of the nine, so we turned on the wobble feature. It took fifteen birds before we finally got a winner, but everybody, including the spectators, had a great time.

Event 2 (100 handicap) had a draw score of 98 (again high in the event), and two 27-yards shooters with that score. It took two rounds of 70-yard #5 hole targets to determine a winner on that one. On one of the doubles matches with a 95 draw score and a half-dozen participants, speeding up the targets and turning on the oscillation got it done in a few stations.

In situations like these, nobody wants to get into a marathon shootoff. As long as all participants agree, making the targets much tougher in speed and angle is a good alternative.

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Shootoffs are the fairest

John C. Saubak

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.