1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to "Pull"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

Just curious what alternatives you've heard when calling for the bird other than "pull."

I've heard:

1. "Readyyyyy"
    2. "Hup"

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Alternatives to

I came from the era when it was the thining to do... to have a unique call fo rth bird. To this day I inadvertantly have about 3 different calls during a round of 25. I start with PULL and end up sounding like a moose in heat.

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Alternatives to

My Ole English Bulldogge calls my targets and that is the main reason he stays home. Three rounds cost me the price of four. Did not take him long to find out that a loud bark would set off the trap. He watches the target fly right till it hits ground and does it over.

But as calls go I have heard so many it's funny. There are some calls the voice release don't seam to like. The worst is the guy that starts out low and long getting louder at the end pulLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. then complains the releases are off.

They growl, they grunt, have one guy that says "granny" you tell me???

Rock

Jim

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Alternatives to

I occasionally get on a squad that's within earshot of a couple of the loudest callers in the area...

one grunts like a hog with a wedgie and the other bleats like a love-sick goat!

Carol Lister

5. Beni

Beni Member

Alternatives to

I got on a practice squad where everyone called bird it was a rather mundane round so instead of bird I called cat. The guy next to me could not shoot due to laughing turned out to be one of the funnest rounds I ever shot.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Alternatives to

Whatever it takes to get the machine to trip without moving the face and thereby the gun.

One guy in an earlier thread said to use "Duh" which will keep the face still because it's all internal, but the inferred meaning is not acceptable.

How about "Day" or "Hay"?

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Alternatives to

Some guy from a couple of towns over use to say "Nowwwww". Squadmate used to say "Haugh." in a real rough voice. Had two guys next to me on my last squad that did that.

8. NintyT

NintyT Member

Alternatives to

At this years Grand I shot on a squad that went like this.

1. Pull
    2. Pulllllllllllllll
    3. Bang
    4. Bird
    5. pull-it

Only the #2 shooter had trouble getting targets on time.

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Alternatives to

I want to know why i always get the deaf guy with the button [not voice activated at my club] I end up screaming something unintelligable to get my bird. Bill in MI

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Alternatives to

Some kind of dumb call other than "pull" is nothing but distracting to other shooters! We should be paying attention to the targets, instead of some yahoo that HAS to be different. And yes, I have heard some real dumb ones that ARE distracting!

11. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Alternatives to

The Best one that I have heard was at Vandilla a few years ago. A nice looking lady yolled, probably have not spelled it right, but it sure sounded nice. Anyone remember her??

Trap-4

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Alternatives to

In addition to the ones above, I have heard a whistle, someone that sounds just like a basset hound bark, a lady that says "Poo", a guy in Alabama that says "Let" like they say it down home (Lay-et), and three guys doing "Bud, Wies, Er" in a row.

Quack Shot is the one that got me laughing on the line with a different call every time during a box of 25. I swear he can sound like a duck one minute, and the littlest old lady the next.

Myself, I say "Ahhhhh".

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Alternatives to

I have not been shooting ATA too long (about 6 yrs), but there is a couple that do stand out. Our State "voice calls", are unique, it is not the loadness but the lenth of the call. This last year there was a Sr. Vet on my squad never got a "first call bird" (over 700 targets). On about the 5-6 day he changed to a soft "Oh No",,,worked perfectly the first time every time. Another one, the shooter could not get a bird on time, too early, too late, or none at all. He started to using "LOST". It worked every time.
    Norman

14. glenns

glenns Member

Alternatives to

ttt

15. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Alternatives to

Well, let's see there's "pull", "pull-it", "pullllll", "mark", "mark-it", "ahhhhhh", and "yeah". Once had a guy at our club whose larynx had been removed due to cancer. He used a green plastic whistle. We were not using voice calls at the time.

Trick is to call in such a way that it doesn't throw you off the target. Too forceful of a call will do that. Just "geterdone"!!!

The Bayrat

POC, TX

16. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Alternatives to

Instead of Pull! It should be Push! (the button)

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Alternatives to

We have voice callers at all our league clubs now. Some are not as sensitive depending on the pitch and strength of the callers voice.

I want a call that is sharp enough to throw the target; a word that ends in a hard consonent and has my mouth closed as it seems that if I leave my mouth open, the stock fit is different.

So with that, I call HoP !

Seems to work best with sporting clays rabbits :)

18. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Alternatives to

Somewhat off topic, but, we had a young scorer - puller - on the trap next to us today that his LOST would release a target on our field. Kind of annoying and funny at the same time - at least the squad on the other field didn't miss too many. I would rather have a loud lost than the "what did they call it" call though. Maybe not so loud the people in the club house know though.

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Alternatives to

This is just to easy. You can say Pull or you can say Mark, or just use both Pull & Mark together. LOL I just quack myself up. Break-em all. JEff

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Alternatives to

Have also seen a shooter at one of the club's shoots a few years back that had a tracheotomy and could not make sound without covering up the breathing opening. He used a wireless door bell. He hung the speaker on his belt at mic level and pressed the button on the fore end. Worked about 90% of the time.

Next year he a digital one that someone recorded a loud PULL and it worked great.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alternatives to pull in trap shooting