1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to a shoot off Need input

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RickA, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

I need some input for solving the shoot-off dilemma. We are having a shoot this week end and although I don't think it will happen it may end up with a tie in either the singles or handicap 100's. What do you guys do in this case beside shoot-off and flip a coin neither of which some member are to keen about.
    Thanks for the help
    Rick

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Long run from the rear?

Long run from the front?

Middle 15?

Curt

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Have them take a guess at the brand name of the boxers that you are wearing. It sounds like they don't want the decision to be random, but yet they don't want to compete for it, either.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Maybe borrow a full jar of Devi's marbles and have them make a guess how many? I'd bet by now even Martin is a pretty fair marble shooter too! :)

Unless your club attracts a ton of AAA shooters, set the targets @ 8 feet and throw them a full 52 yards. May help cut down on ties too? Hap

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Most of my marbles are separated into sets and bubble-wrapped, bagged, or boxed. But I would be happy to provide a bunch of M&Ms for the task. Then the loser could keep those as a consolation. We women have a habit of drowning our sorrows in chocolate, you know.

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Miss and out. Post 2

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Only one way to decide a tie in my book. Shoot off.

I know clubs hate throwing "free" targets. Too bad!!!

Some guys do not want to "waste" shells shooting for a "chintzy prize", but they have no trouble shooting practice rounds. I cannot think of any better practice than a shoot off.

They can forfeit if they want to go home.

Don Verna

8. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

[​IMG]

Egg in spoon race to the trap house and back!

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I like the egg in the spoon race. The only way I can beat Leo if I ever tie him.

Don Verna

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Put their names in a hat and draw before the event, declare him the winner and they can all go home, saves targets, shells and wear and tear. Get home early.

Dumb, Dumb. This is a shooting event, they are won or lost by shooting not by some stupid gimmick. Real shooters will not come back if you break ties by luck of the draw or gimmick. As one said if they don't want to shoot they forfeit - game over.

Don

11. RickA

RickA Member

Well for those that suggest that not having a shootoff is dumb I agree. But I'm just the peon that puts this stuff together to help make some money for the club. If I had to decide I'd go with pistols at 10 paces because afterall there should be only 1 winner right LOL.

Seriously though I do agree but we serve a small group of shooters most of the time and many like to go home after the shoot. I wish it were different but like I said I don't make the rules. I do however like the longest run rule from the front as a backup plan. Might even get a few extra guys to sign up for perfect 50s option

Oh well maybe I'll just poll the shooters tomorrow morning and see what they want to do.
    By the way do you just pick a station to shoot from and shoot till someone misses or do you rotate like in regular competition.
    Rick

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I use 2 per post sudden death miss and out. Makes good white knuckle shooting. If everyone tied leaves we use reverse run.

13. Robb

Robb Member

Do long run one shoot and reverse long run the next or whatever you chose. Let the shooters know before event starts. Most guys would be ok with this unless you have gold for trophies. jmo

14. jtgunn

jtgunn TS Member

I suggest a wobble trap set to the angle of your choice (3hole sounds good) throwing at least a 50yd target... shoot the first 25, then go to miss and OUT!
    This should cut down on the shoot-off runs for 16's. Then again maybe this it what we should be throwing FOR 16's -- Then maybe only a few shootoff. Yes, I know, who has a wobble trap set-up now days.
    I've shot it all, and I just like a hard target sport. Soft targets in today’s trap do not impress me at all, nor do they entice me to shoot any big money hdcps. I don't like shoot-offs, I want to shoot and beat everyone in the primary event, no ties, no flips, no money spits. That's just me... I can't stay interested long enough to run 500+ 16's, it becomes mentally boring... again that's just me...

You say you can't hit the softball targets of today... I suggest you practice more, develop your hand to eye skills, hammer at it, and MOST of all get a gun that does not wear you out and especially one that FITS! I'm a plinker compared to the amount of targets shot by shooters today, but for me runs of 500 singles by anyone says a lot about the challenge of the sport. Does anyone think if golf had a 12" cup it would be the game it is...If 10 pin bowling only had 8 pins, no 7-10... Does it mean as much to run a hundred singles if they were all quarters and straights... Or would it be more of an accomplishment to run 100 from the wobble trap... OR break a hundred on the Bunker (not sure this has been done?) It was 1978 that the FIRST hundred straight from 27 was shot in the GAH. Does say something about the targets. Most want quick results rewards mastery over the sport. I suggest you do not shoot bunker, or play golf. Really tough sports. But hey, throwing wobble 16's or wait wobble hdcp! That could be a real challenge, and you might win a few dollars... You could call it... Sporting Trap! I can almost smell the $ - Oh wait, BO has mortgaged the complete USA, there is no money...

This can go on forever, just be prepared to shoot a few hundred in the shootoffs, and carry a lot of shells.... Have fun, and keep shootin'

Rich... back at the fence...

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rick- You could carry the shoot off over to your next club shoot. Or you could shoot off the events in the last event of the day (doubles). If you suggest these possibilities it will make a coin flip seem more desirable. I have always believed that shooters in a shoot off should pay for the targets they shoot. I probably stand alone with this belief. I do not care for shoot offs. I have hung around too many clubs until way past the time I should have had dinner.

Pat Ireland

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Count me in as one who thinks it should be shoot-off or forfeit! Shoot-offs build confidence and helps teach you how to shoot under the real stress of competition whether you win or lose. Getting into the shoot-offs is what many of us shoot for. I, personally, would rather make the shoot-off than win a trophy. Just being there, shooting to win the event via a shoot-off is trophy enough for me. I also believe you should shoot the full 25 targets, not 2 at each post, miss and out, or any other type of convoluted means. Trap shooting has always been about making it into the shoot-offs, and to take that away just waters down an already struggling sport. As for paying for shoot-off targets, Pat, I totally, and strongly, disagree. At a small club, any shoot off is not likely to go over 50-100 targets. At the most that would equate to about $7.00 in free targets per shooter per event. If a clubs financial health is so frail they cannot afford to provide the shoot off targets, they have no business being in business. It's got to stop somewhere.. Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

RickA, seriously, if you have ties at a small shoot, let them shootoff. It generally doesn't take that many targets and alot of shooters enjoy the experience as posted above. AA and even A shooters as long yardage shooters who are the most apt to tie through extra shootoff rounds will generally offer their own means to settle tie.

18. ink ball

ink ball Member

Rojambo

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I prefer shootoff. But, I wouldn't have a problem with blind draw of posts and a miss and out after each has shot.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.