1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative to lead?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jay Fliger, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Fliger

Jay Fliger TS Member

It has been a long time since I have visited this site and I apologize in advance if this subject has already been thoughly discussed and for the length of my thread. My concern is the current price of lead shot which I heard yesterday at the trap club is at or very near $50 per 25 pounds. After 37 years of trapshooting, $50 per bag is my breaking point, even as I now shoot 7/8 oz loads for all events. Is there an alternative to lead for trapshooting that can be purchased at a more reasonable price? My first thought would be steel which I have no problem with (better than not shooting at all in my opinion) but that leads to other questions. Where can I purchase in bulk? Where can I purchase necessary wads? I suppose loading data is provided by powder manufacturers. Maybe I am overlooking some other alternative? I look forward to all your thoughts on this subject - I would miss trapshooting greatly! Sincerely, Jay Fliger

2. hogpwrrr

hogpwrrr TS Member

Jay, looks OK to me.

3. hogpwrrr

hogpwrrr TS Member

Jay, looks OK to me.

4. hogpwrrr

hogpwrrr TS Member

Jay, looks OK to me.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jay- I do hope you can find an answer for all of us. Now, steel shot appears to be more expensive than lead shot.

I did a little investigation about purchasing some shot in bulk (66 tons). The shipping costs (railroad for most miles and then truck for 40 miles), handling and storage expenses, actually made the cost of shot (+-$40 per bag) very reasonable. I think it will cost me more to shoot next year but I do plan on shooting.

Pat Ireland

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Connie's Components is still advertising two bags of West Coast shot delivered to your mailbox for $79.98. They ship every Thursday and it will be coming from Washington so it might take a while. This is also your chance to get back at the person who delivers your mail. As a side note, I would like to mention that I have made some large puchases fom this company recently and they appear to have recovered from their recent family tragedy. Ron Renouf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.