1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternate Gun Lube Info Wanted

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1881home, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Has anyone tried Transmission fluid as a gun lube? Or, How about STP, or Mobile 1 synthetic oil. I'm interested in the above lubes to be used on hinge pins, and bearing surfaces of a break open gun. Not any automatics or pumps. Mobile 1 is extremely slick. Anyone tried it? STP is a little more, or I should say, a lot more viscous than straight oil. So many auto lubricants claim to place a barrier between two metal surfaces, like crank and bearings in the motor. Don't know if there is any benefit, but just curious if anyone has tried any of these items. Thanks for your input.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I've tried STP oil treatment. Pretty good stuff but you really have to use it sparingly, I use a toothpick to apply it. Honestly, I'm of the opinion that any motor oil or grease will do a fine job of lubing the wear points. Cleaning off the old stuff once in a while and relubing can't hurt.

Eric

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

STP is not a lubricant; in fact, it has very poor anti-wear properties.

It is actually a viscosity index improver that makes motor oil thicker and less prone to being drawn past piston rings or down valve guides and burned in the combustion process.

Morgan

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Use Ballistol for general lube and corrosion protection and CMD gun lube for hinge pins, forend and receiver knuckles, etc.

5. setter

setter Member

Here's a recent thread on same subject!

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use Mobil 1 synthetic on about everything that needs oiled. Good stuff. Hap

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Someone suggested using chain saw bar-and-chain oil for a lube. Out of curiosity I tried it and found that, for me, it's too thick and sticky for use on knuckles but it works very well on the sliding ejectors (now extractors) on my XT. Chamber heat keeps it fluid and it actually stays on the ejectors through a 200 bird event, something nothing else will do. I do clean the extractor slides with mineral spirits after each shoot.

Morgan

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Morgan- dont know where you came up with STP not being a lubricant- it is cleary a lubricant- was often used by machinests for centers

The week before last a shooter showed up at the range with a chinese o/u and he could barely open-

I got some STP out of my trunk- and under the view of 30 or so shooters who didnt think it would work- dabbed some on his gun

The gun litterally dropped open

Try it - you will like it

I have also tried Mobile 1- in different weights- it is a good lubricant as well

Both the above are hands down better than any so called "gun lubricants"

Think about it- the auto industry to include gas producers- spend billions on R&D for reasearch

The makers of gun lubricants probably spend nothing

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

STP, Mobil 1, and ATF work great....in cars.
    Specialized gun lubes work great....in guns.

I don't use gun oil in my car or truck engines and I don't use motor products in my guns.

They each have completely different requirements and deserve the best....which is what I give them.

If you like trying different lubes for your gun, Paul at Warwick Cases sells a very nice oil that is a bargain.

I've used Paul's oil, RIG, Pro-Gold, AMSOIL synthetic grease, Mobil 1 grease, Outers grease, Outers oil, Formula 3 gun oil, Rem Oil, Browning lube, and probably several others that I can't think of right now. THEY ALL WORK.

"The week before last a shooter showed up at the range with a chinese (sic) o/u and he could barely open- I got some STP out of my trunk- and under the view of 30 or so shooters who didnt (sic) think it would work- dabbed some on his gun- The gun litterally (sic) dropped open" The same thing would have happened with any good gun lube, as well. Moral: use what you like, but use something.

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Morgan- dont know where you came up with STP not being a lubricant- it is cleary a lubricant- was often used by machinests for centers"</i>

Water will lubricate a machine center if provided in sufficient amounts.

I based my statement of the 1995 FTC ruling against Standard Brands, Inc. and the STP brand name under which the FTC fined Standard Brands for misleading and fallacious advertising campaigns in which it stated that STP eliminated start-up wear by providing lubrication motor oil alone could not provide. The FTC noted that the chemical composition of STP contained only one anti-wear additive, zinc, which is a marginal additive at best, and that STP was compounded primarily of short-string polymers, not lubricants.

Morgan

11. g7777777

Capt Morgan- you might want to look more closely and read that opinion cafefully-- totally differnt product

It is for a different product- and at issue isnt if it is a lubricant but rather the effectiveness of eliminating wear at start up

I quote a legal commentary and review of that opinion;\:

"STP Engine Treatment with XEP2." Under the proposed settlement, the defendants would pay an $888,000 civil penalty for the order violation. (This is the third largest sum ever obtained by the FTC for a consumer protection order violation).

First Brands and STP Corporation are located in Danbury, Connecticut. The product at issue has sold from about $10.00 to $16.00 per quart. It is intended to be substituted for one quart of motor oil during a regularly scheduled oil change and is supposed to last for 25,000 miles.

"The vast majority of automobiles do not wear out due to excessive engine wear, including start-up wear," said FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection Director Jodie Z. Bernstein in announcing the case. "The relatively few automobiles that are scrapped due to excessive engine wear tend to have either

unusually high mileage or
    a history of operation under atypical driving conditions or without appropriate oil changes"

-------

Just try it on hinge pins - you will be amazed

If you dont want to do that- do the old TV test-- put it on a blade of a screw driver and hold it between your thumb and forefinger--- then tell me the stuff isnt slippery

It is of higher viscosity so tends to stay in place

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. g7777777

Jim- good question--

Answer 1- try Mobile 1 and STP and you will find out for yourself-- they work much better than traditional gun lubricants that cost much more

Answer 2- Two things got me interested in this a number of years ago

a. A company that employed several hundred people full time was situated about 3/4 of a mile from me when I was a boy- it tested and develped lubricant additives for gasoline and motor Oil- big bucks

b. An article by an independent publication- that didnt accept advertising- found that when comparing about 20 "gun" lubricants I think and one motor oil- Wolf heads 30/30-- The motor oil tested as the best lubricant-- I believe that Publications name was Gun Tests

3. For between 1.49 and 5.00 dollars you can have a lifetime supply for you and your friends

4. Perazzi used to reccomend 30 weight motor oil- dont know if they still do

5. I dont think there is any warranty issue using or not using a certain oil on your firearms

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I use the above lubricant and have been using it for about 20 years in my business . We manufacture Injection Molds that run for millions of cycles at all different temperatures. Been using it on my guns for at least 15 years and they show no signs of wear.

14. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**If you dont want to do that- do the old TV test-- put it on a blade of a screw driver and hold it between your thumb and forefinger--- then tell me the stuff isnt slippery**

If the screwdriver test were a good indication of lubrication ability, then we should be using either boiled okra or snot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
z d d p additive in gun oil
gun oil with stp
stp and synthetic motor oil for gun lube
stp as a gun lubricant
stp as gun grease

stp motor oil mixture as gun lube