1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

altering choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kansas pete, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kansas pete

kansas pete TS Member

I have a couple of shotguns that I would like to open the choke up on. One is a Model 12 and the other is a BT-99. Is this something I can do at home or who would you send them off to?
    Thanks.
    Pete

2. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Here is a short review of my work by a gunsmith specializing in target, long-range, and special rifle building. This was actually his very first mention of me, and the first work that he had me do for him.

He goes by the handle of Riflemeister on shotgunworld.

He has a degree in machining, so when he tells me that he knows the critical elements of alignment in a process, I have no doubt that he understands more than the average passerby.

Kirby

------------------------------------------------

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=226170&p=1919802

Back to the choke situation on my 202B 28 ga. The tight bores .545" caused all the furnished chokes to be off quite a bit. I ordered another set of chokes from CZ and by selecting chokes from both sets I was able to cover IM down to SK, but lacked an IC and wanted another SK to shoot clays with both barrels.

I recently picked up a Charles Daly Miroku 500 12 ga in IC/Mod, but the modified choke measured out at .026" choke and patterned way tighter than I wanted. I decided to send it to Kirby the gunsmith in Arnold, MO to lengthen the forcing cones and open the right barrel to .019" choke. Got it back about a week later and the choke was dead on, and the bores and forcing cones looked like mirrors. I was really impressed. I called him and inquired if he had the collet chucks for his lathe where he could properly hold the 28 ga choke tubes and open a couple up for a Skeet and Improved Cylinder. He said he had the setup and off went the tubes to complete the set of tubes I wanted. A week later, back came the choke tubes, again, dead nuts on with the dimensions I requested. This guy is really good if you need any choke or barrel work done.

------------------------------------

My response after I saw that he had posted about the work I did for him:

I would say that the most impressive note was that Riflemeister is a pro riflesmith, has a machining degree, and he realized that I was the shotgunsmith to improve and adapt his barrels and chokes.

We had discussions about the details and limitations of factory barrel production and the variances that must be accommodated, and a fellow precision machinist can relate to the specifics I noted among those I typically see- and there is surprising correlation to the rifle barrels that he regularly installs that made us closer work kin that many could find in their field.

His measurements of the chokes being spot-on should be taken as gospel, since I had actually gauged by precision bore micrometer and dial bore gauge the initial and/or completed dimensions to the exact amount he had desired. I was hoping that he would be impressed, and his reaction did not disappoint.

Kirby

ps
    He was privy to the latest article that I just completed Sunday evening.
    I have been writing for that sportsman newsmagazine (Adventure Sports Outdoors aka asomagazine.com) since 2003, and anyone that would like to see some of the previous articles available in the online archives should email a request for some links to the .pdf files.

3. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Was that a yes, a no, or recomendation? I am confused as usual. I say yes, brake hone, just to piss off the "THREAD POLICE"...LOL...BIG JIM

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think Kirby is saying, "don't try this at home, kids...send it to a professional."

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can do the work yourself with the proper tools. You will need an adjustable blade choke reamer, a bore micrometer, and some cutting oil. Stay away from chome lined barrels. If you can find an old barrel to practice on, that would be helpful. Go slow and take a little metal out and then adjust the reamer until you get to the desired constriction. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.