1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alright Tire Guys....I made my decision

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

This place is a wealth of information! Reading the cheap tire vs. expensive tire thread, I made my decision. I travel to about 5 shoots a year. I am pulling a 7X16 enclosed trailer behind a F-250 truck. I was needing new tires. Looked at the post every day, and I have decided on Michelins!

Matt

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

XPS

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ah yes Michelin, the French tire company. Yes they make damned good tires. I was in Vietnam the whole year of 1967 and up the road from Cu Chi was a place called Dau Tieng and near there was a brigade of the 25th division that had a base camp. Well to get on with the story, the VC would fire mortars and such into the base camp and the GI's could not call in air strikes or artillery becasue the rounds were coming from a Michelin rubber plantation. Michelin paid their taxes to the VC and we could not shoot back at them for fear of damaging rubber trees. Yeah I am going to buy tires from the Frogs!!!!!

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

AND WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THEM IF THEY DID NOT PAY THE TAXES-GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE. RICK ZINO CW4 RETIRED RVN 69-70, 72-73.

5. John 53

John 53 Member

There are two (2) Michelin manufacturing plants in South Carolina, AND a test track. I would say that makes them "MADE in the USA", kind of like Toyota and VW.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If the Michelins are so wonderful why did Formula One drop them as one of the tire providers - now all race on Bridgstones.

Remember the F-1 at Indy running only three or four cars because the Michelins were coming apart on the turns??

My experience with them is that they run really hard (and I like a stiff ride in a car - but this is too much) and are very noisy. Add to this that they tend to throw/shift belts really easily... not my first choice.

7. steele

steele TS Member

Look into the Michelin Cross-Terrain tires. I pull a 7 x 18 twin axle trailer with a 05 Yukon. They weren't cheap at $260 each, but they handle real well, work good in wet/snow situations, & wear very, very well. Right now I have over 45,000 miles on this set, with at least 10-12 more to go before I need new ones. I'll definitely use them again. Best price around was Costco.

Butch

8. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Excellent choice Matt. I am sure you will be pleased. For the past several years I have been running exclusively on their light truck tires.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Best truck tires: New OEM takeoffs from the kid that is raising his truck to make it somehow "better" with big rims and tires that only serve a good purpose in the desert or on a sand dune. But "they look cool" and, allegedly, are laughed at in mountain/wet states where flotation is not a virtue. Those new OEM takeoffs beat the admittedly very good Michelin all to hell in price per mile. But if you are exceeding the vehicle's GVW as per what the tires allow, then, by all means, get a different tire.

BTW, I don't think a street tire's goodness or badness can be judged by the success of the racing tire put out by its parent company. Whole different ballgame in both divisions, whole different set of decisions made by whole different sets of engineers etc. I got this from reading Smokey's book.

10. Loyac

Loyac Member

BFGoodrich A/T's are one of the best out there!

11. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Michelin XPS

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Over price product has a rule of thumb, not to say that they aren't a good product byt like Goodyear you pay for them to advertise.

13. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

WoodsonEnt Send me an email with your snail mail address and I may be able to get you a cupon for a discount. jack melitsky

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I'm very happy with my Coopers made in Ohio. They have worked hard and after 18,000 miles I can barely see any wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.