1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alot of cheap, low quality guns on market.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Spanky, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Got to work this morning and thought, after work I think I'll go and look at and probably buy a 20 ga. o/u to hunt with and probably shoot some sporting clays with. I've been kicking the idea around for a few years now about a 20 ga., but never acted on my initial impulse.

I'll admit I didn't want to spend $1500-$2000 for what my intention with this gun was to be. I didn't want to be cheap either. Thought I could get a good field o/u that would be o.k. for $600-$800. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I target shoot with a Browning Citori O/U Trap, BT-99 and a Beretta 391 Semi-Auto Trap(eases occasional shoulder issue). I know I'm not shooting the best there is. I'm just a bluecollar stiff and this is my max $$$ range, and that's no bull. Well I found out one thing today. I have a greater appreciation for my target guns now than what I had for them this morning. The market is saturated with alot of cheap, low quality o/u shotguns that I couldn't bring myself to buy. Fit and finish on these guns is a disgrace. For Pete's sake they don't even have a hindge pin. I looked at Russian-Remingtons, Stogers, Franchi's, Savage, Mossbergs and a few other imports. A few local gun shops and Dick's don't seem to carry decent or what I feel is a decent o/u. For now I'll keep hunting with my old Wingmasters and 1100's. After what I've seen today I will spend the extra to purchase a field grade Browning or Beretta O/U.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Spanky,
    Send me an email with your price range and gun specs. I'm sure that I have something for you. Look on above eb site.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Spanky im sure Mike has something, I know im gonna buy something from him one of these days. I always check out his web site. As far as Dicks they carry what the manufactures give them. They will order you a higher grade gun if you want to wait 6 8 10 12 weeks. Some things they do have great prices on. In my mind I would rather buy a higher grade gun from a known dealer. Dicks is great if you want the best price on a 870 exspress combo or entry level plinker. They have had some really good prices on air riffles latly.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Spanky baby.....you gets what you pays fur! Everyone should consider why some guns costs alot less than other guns! If you make it with material crap, you can sell it for less. You don't even need a high school diploma to know that[not that a high school diploma means you know anything}.

5. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Spanky,

600-800 will buy you a quality hunting piece on the used market. Be patient and shop around....you'll find something nice you'll be pleased with. Let the new cheap stuff sit.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you are looking for a gun, you must ask everyone you know see and come into contact with, What ya doin with them guns in your closet? After getting into trap shooting, My long time friends Dad says to me, Hear you been shooting trap? Got a gun you might like to buy. 4 barrel citori set with forarms 2 stocks one fixed comb one adjustable, 30 inch. Said he let it go to me for 4500.00. It took me for ever to get the 1500.00 I judt paid for my XT. http://www.herosarms.com/HA446_Browning_GD7_4GA_SK/HA446.htm Very simular to this unit. awesome set. He parted out the adjustable stock and forarms and still got 6000.00 for the set.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

To each his own..to you it may be junk, to another it may be gold. Never knock anothers preference. If people didn't buy them, they wouldn't manufacture them.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Mike, thanks for the site onfo I'll keep checking back to it. I'm impressed with the quality of the target grade guns you have listed. I'll get some e-mails together to some of you guys on a 20 ga o/u.

I made a few calls to some higher grade gun shops out of my local area, I'll get in and check a few of them out later in the season. I've been kicking around the idea of a 20 ga. o/u for a long time. But, I'm NOT buying any old quality lacking firearm. My guns are something my grand kids or future grand kid may like to have and keep some day.

As far as the term "JUNK". You may see I've refrained from using that term. I prefer to use quality lacking because that is what I see. I'm not here to offend anyone on what you've purchased or intend to purchase. I expected to see more in quality of a Stoeger(Berretta owned) and Spartian-Russia(Remington owned). Their web site led me to believe that.

Mac, you are right about Dick's. All of their guns are low end of all the manufacturers. This is rifles and shotguns. It also appears that some may be exclusivly for Dick's. No bull$h!t, if I were just wanting any old 20 ga. shotgun to hunt with. Hands down I would buy a 20 ga. Remington Express at Dick's. With all the sales, rebates and mail in incentives you can get one for $210.00, I would without a doubt rather own and 870 Express Pump 20 GA. than a O/U Condor or Spartian. All of my small game hunting has only been done with Wingmasters and 1100's. I've never had one problem with a Remington Shot gun. I see the 870 Express as a Wingmaster in a cheap suit and not a tuxedo. Would more than likely hold up as well as a Wingmaster. The ugly stepsister.

9. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Spanky, why not just throw a pair of 20ga. little skeeters in your 12ga.? I havent done it myself, but I know a couple guys that didnt want to spend $1500 on a new 20ga. o/u so bought the $50 skeeters and went out hunting. They love them. Get the ones that stay in the gun when ejecting, and from what I hear, they work awesome. The money saved will buy a whole lot of shells. Steve

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

One of the guys I talked with yesterday was mentioning the same thing. My O/U is a Citori Trap. Will have a tough time hunting with it even if I had tubes. I would try that route if I had a field grade Citori. I have to do a road trip to Shyda's and Richland and get a good feel for what I am looking for. Millers is also a big Browning guy by the way his ads look. He's not too far of a drive from where I work, never been there and know nothing about them.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Never overlook asking your local gunsmith.

Many widows, not knowing what to do about her husband's guns, takes them to the local gunsmith. Some buy them, others take them on consignment.

Another source of good used ( and bad) guns is your local Pawn Shop. Just be ready to haggle...they whip out Shooter's Bible and start at the 'new' price.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Can someone tell me a better hunting gun than a Rem. 870 with a full choke barrel and a spare barrel a little shorter and choked modified? Years ago I did a lot of bird hunting and had both a Rem. 870 and a nice Holland & Holland side by side to use. I honestly think the Remington served me better.

Pat Ireland

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Benelli Montefeltro might be just the ticket for you. Handles great, carries even better and is very reliable. This is on the upper end of your price range but worth the money. On the lower end of your range, an 870 wingmaster is a quality gun that will do all that you ask of it and there are lots of good barely used ones on the market.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Spanky..I have a beautiful Weatherby Orion O/U I will sell you for $700 and that includes shipping to your FFL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.