1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ALMOST EVERYONE SAYS THE SAME THING???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I was speaking to a wisconsin hall of famer recently and asked him if he ever shoots his old 870 trap gun that he originally started shooting with? he said no, he shouldered the 870 a couple months ago, and could not believe how low the stock was compared to what he shoots nowadays. shooters that i talk to always same the same thing. is it their stance they now use, what is the reason their original guns are now way to low for them?

another question:
    i picked up a 4e recently, could not believe how low stocked the gun is. why were all the old time guns stocked so low?

last question:
    anyone know when trap guns first came out with a monte carlo stock, and what company produced it?
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One reason today's shooters break more targets. The best "old timers" made their guns shoot higher.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I noticed that the trap guns in D. Lee Braun's trap book and video all had field stocks on them (sloping comb). I wonder when Remington started offering straight and monte carlo comb trap stocks on their 870s and 1100s?

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i had a friend sold an ithaca 5 E last year with factory monte carlo stock also i had a 1975 870 that i could have ordered with a monte carlo but opted for the straight stock. i have a 1927 black diamond model 12 with a monte carlo stock. dwain

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I bought a gun, via U.S. mail (Pre GCA-68!) while stationed in Iceland at a small radar site on the south eastern corner of Island (Icelandic spelling for Iceland). It was a Remington 1100 Trap with double Ivory Beads and a Monte Carlo stock. I don't think I even fired one box of shells through it since I was DEROSing (Date Estimated Return from Over Seas) not very much later.

I shipped it back home but it never arrived. It was stolen somewhere in the APO/US Postal Service (or whatever they called it then). It was insured but the payment they FINALLY and only after many, many attempts to receive the payment, did give me did not even cover the cost of the gun. That was my first shotgun of my very own. I do remember it having a Monte Carlo stock so Remington was offering them in 1968 but I don't know how much earlier.

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Great question. After a quick search the earliest reference to a Monte Carlo stocked Model 12 that I could find was 1939 on a special order gun. I have a pigeon grade Model 12 made in 1947 with a Monte Carlo stock. Undoubtedly somebody else here knows of earlier Monte Carlo stocked guns and hopefully will share it and enlighten us with the details.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Steve, not much of an answer to your question but I'll chime in anyway. I have a beautiful early to mid 70's model 870TC Wingmaster. I get it out every now and again. It has a monte carlo stock and I put a Graco adjustable butt plate on it. Stock is a little short, but I can fix that. My biggest prob with it is the barrel length. My XT Combo has a 34" and the 870 has a 30". If I could find a Remington 34" barrel ( not an aftermarket barrel) I would shoot the shit out of it. If any of the thread warriors can help, I would sure appreciate it. Last item Steve, 30 bird starts October 11.

8. Francis Marion

EE, you must have missed my point. I was looking for someone to offer up a 34' trap barrel for my 870TC. DUH

9. senior smoke

Steve:
    i once had a 34 inch remington 870 trap barrel. it was a smoke pole. i traded it to luther. he will never sell it. the barrel is so long, the sound is even muffeled because the shot has longer to travel. believe it or not, a fellow shooter at loreene's sold this barrel for $50.00 to luther, than luther and i traded 870 barrels. everyone that has these types of barrels love them. the only reason i traded the barrel to luther was he had a case of the gotta have the barrel back, because i was shooting it so well.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

10. Francis Marion

Steve, Luther is always wheeling and dealing. If you ask him real nice, maybe he will sell me the barrel for $75.00. See you on the 11th.

11. senior smoke

steve:
    he's been offered $400.00 and he luaghed and said not even close.
    steve

12. Francis Marion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.