1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alloying Lead For Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

We have a large supply of pure lead for shot making. Are any of you guys alloying your lead to make better shot.
    Carey

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

We used to mix it with tin and or wheelweights to harden it up a bit.

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I like 4 to 1 ratio of pure lead to wheel weights( 20% WW)

Remember, the more you add to pure lead to make it hard, the lighter it will become, as in Antimony.

More thoughts?

Danny

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Carey: Out of curiosity how did you come to have a large supply of pure lead?

5. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Dave there is a lot of pure reactor lead bricks floating aroung this area. No we are not glowing green yet but think if we can get it made into good shot it will be somthing special. Should break birds like an atomic blast would. LOL
    Carey

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What I have found is, the more pure the lead is the larger the shot comes out of the machine (Shotmaker, double drippers). Example: #8 drippers will drop 7-7.5's with pure lead. Wheel weight lead will come out 90% #8's & some 8.5's. A mix will get various #8's and 7-7.5's. When I sort these I get about 50/50 8/7.5's.

7. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Most hard or magnum shot is 6% so if you want magnum shot you will have to add 6% tin or antimony. You also will have more shot in a 1 1/8 oz load with mag shot because it is not as heavy.

Dave

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If your shot comes out size 7 1/2 it does not matter what the weight is. It comes out by volume. 7 1/2 will still come out the same count just the weight will differ. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.