1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Allowable ATA shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I know this is in the ATA handbook, (Can't find it) but what are the allowable shells that can be used in an ATA shoot in 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads?? (speeds, etc, Thanks

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Nothing larger than 12 ga and 7.5 shot size. No plated shot. Speed, I'm not exactly sure but I think it's 1290fps for 1 oz and 1250 for 1 1/8.

Eric

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

SECTION XIII

STANDARDS FOR TRAPHOUSES, TARGETS, TARGET SETTING, GUNS AND AMMUNITION

G. GUNS AND AMMUNITION

A contestant cannot use:

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than
    Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%.

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

1325 FPS with 1 ounce and 1290 FPS with 1 1/8 oz

Trap-4

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Note the caveat. Maximum velocity is for each individual shell. Not average.

SAAMI allows a +/- tolerance of, if I recall, 90 fps shell to shell from advertized velocity.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is a shame that the ATA has not come up with a procedure to enforce these rules. HMB

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

hmb

What would you suggest?

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

Is there an online version of the ATA rulebook someplace? Maybe in PDF format or something? I've looked on the ATA site and could not find anything.

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

ATA shell rules are in place as a guideline to follow. Enforcing these rules would almost be impossible and end up very discriminating. Case in point...It is illegal to use 6 shot during an ATA event.

I have factory Remington shells marked 8 shot on the box and on each individual shell but the shells actually contain 6 shot. Now what if an ATA official checked someone with reloads and found 6 shot inside them then checked my shells and they also had 6 shot...would the action taken against both people be the same? Somehow I don't think so.

10. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

jhoward

Its there, just have to hunt around a little.

Bill Radwan

11. jhoward

jhoward Member

Thank you both for the link!

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

First off General guidelines-- No shot larger than 7-1/2. 1-1/8 oz. loads restriced to 1290 FPS, 1 oz.restriced to 1325 FPS, and 7/8 oz. loads restriced to 1350 FPS. In all my years of shooting I only saw two challenges and in both cases they simply WEIGHED the shot charge. Enforcing the rule would prove EXTREMLY dificult for many reasons.--- The ATA is the ONLY shotgun shooting disipline that has a "speed limit" for shot shells. All others restrict ONLY shot size, type of shot, and weight!

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Number 7 shot is fine

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Mark I know guys that only shoot number 7 shot for handicap?? I believe your lucky to get close to 7 1/2 or 8 shot and some place around 6,s or 9,s is the norm .

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I suggest that the ATA get rid of the velocity rule. It's unenforceable. Keep the weight and size of shot rules, and use the same procedure used at the olympic games to enforce it. HMB

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

7-1/2 shot sizes vary depending on how much antimony is in it. A 1-1/8 ounce shot charge shouldn't vary enough to give an advantage and can be measured easily including the 3% allowances. Speed limits are impossible to control with certainty with the plus or minus 90 FPS attached.

Hap

17. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If there were not some sort of guide lines you would have someone who would use their favorite annie loads, can't you imaginr being on the line next to a guy shooting a max load of long shot for a hunnerd streight, mercy me.

Bob

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I still cringe from the "longshot" loads fired next to me....

19. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I find the following phrase illogical.

"In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%."

How can 1 1/8 oz of shot be a maximum when a charge can exceed it by 2.9999...%???

It should be like competition fishing. The regulating body should set the standard. The industry conforms to the standards. Not the other way around.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata rules for shell speed

ata shell rules

ata shotshell velocities
ata trap shooting shell regulations
ata velocity limits for shotgun shells

load speed for ata

max shot size ata trap

what is legal speed for trap shotgun shell