Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allowable ATA shells

22K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  waverider 
#1 ·
I know this is in the ATA handbook, (Can't find it) but what are the allowable shells that can be used in an ATA shoot in 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads?? (speeds, etc, Thanks

#3 ·
SECTION XIII

STANDARDS FOR TRAPHOUSES, TARGETS, TARGET SETTING, GUNS AND AMMUNITION

G. GUNS AND AMMUNITION

A contestant cannot use:

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than
Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%.

#5 ·
Note the caveat. Maximum velocity is for each individual shell. Not average.

SAAMI allows a +/- tolerance of, if I recall, 90 fps shell to shell from advertized velocity.

#9 ·
ATA shell rules are in place as a guideline to follow. Enforcing these rules would almost be impossible and end up very discriminating. Case in point...It is illegal to use 6 shot during an ATA event.

I have factory Remington shells marked 8 shot on the box and on each individual shell but the shells actually contain 6 shot. Now what if an ATA official checked someone with reloads and found 6 shot inside them then checked my shells and they also had 6 shot...would the action taken against both people be the same? Somehow I don't think so.

#12 ·
First off General guidelines-- No shot larger than 7-1/2. 1-1/8 oz. loads restriced to 1290 FPS, 1 oz.restriced to 1325 FPS, and 7/8 oz. loads restriced to 1350 FPS. In all my years of shooting I only saw two challenges and in both cases they simply WEIGHED the shot charge. Enforcing the rule would prove EXTREMLY dificult for many reasons.--- The ATA is the ONLY shotgun shooting disipline that has a "speed limit" for shot shells. All others restrict ONLY shot size, type of shot, and weight!

#16 ·
7-1/2 shot sizes vary depending on how much antimony is in it. A 1-1/8 ounce shot charge shouldn't vary enough to give an advantage and can be measured easily including the 3% allowances. Speed limits are impossible to control with certainty with the plus or minus 90 FPS attached.

Hap

#19 ·
I find the following phrase illogical.

"In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%."

How can 1 1/8 oz of shot be a maximum when a charge can exceed it by 2.9999...%???

It should be like competition fishing. The regulating body should set the standard. The industry conforms to the standards. Not the other way around.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.