1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Red Dot/Promo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I have been looking for Alliant Promo reloading data. I haven't found any. Someone told me to load it just like Red Dot. Is this correct? Thanks, Matt

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You use the loads published for Red Dot with Promo powder. However, you cannot use the same powder bushing. So if a load you like says to use 17gr of Red Dot, use 17gr of promo. Just make sure you weigh the charges until you find the correct bushing.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Matt: I load Promo using the same recipe that Alliant shows for Red Dot. Just be sure to weigh your charges; especially after opening a new container. No problem. Ed

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

go over to shotgunworld and do a search in the reloaders forum - there is one post there that has a number of published promo loads.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Matt..Alliant has all the Promo reloading data on page 30 of their reloading manual on their website.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Dan,

I appreciate the help, but I couldn't pull it up. What does it say for a good 7/8 ounce American Trap load? Matt

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Matt

Go to Red Dot and use its charge weight info. I think a fellow at Alliant said to start at two bushings under Red Dot for Mec bushings. If, for example, a Red Dot load indicated a #35 bushing, then you would try AND WEIGH charges dropped with a #33 bushing.

Promo, like Red Dot is a great powder. It is fast enough for light loads, slow enough for up to 3 1/4 dram loads in some hulls.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Go to page 30 of the guide located at the above link. Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your system, or s similar PDF document reader. Red Dot is "similar" to Promo, but NOT exactly the same. Red Dot data can be used as a guide, but I'd avoid any loads at or above 10K. The Promo data is like we have come to expect from Alliant these days, limited data with no pressures. Then a quick reference to use some other powder's data instead. Sounds real safe to me!

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The tech department at Alliant has told me several times that they recommend following the Red Dot data when loading Promo but as Quack Shot points out, Alliant data is lacking in pressure values. Through tests I've been discovering that this is not always a good thing when loading one powder using the data of another, especially when you're using a fast powder (or a hot primer) that produces higher pressures to begin with.

Morgan

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

No mention of American Trap. These look promising.

Rem STS/Gun Club; Rem 209P; Win WAA12L; 16.5 gr Promo; 1200 f/s;
    17.5 gr=1250 f/s.
    18.5 gr = 1300 f/s

20.5 gr = 1345 f/s is the recipe for International Trap from the on-line guide using Red Dot that loads the same as Promo by weight.

Jason

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"...recipe for International Trap from the on-line guide using Red Dot that loads the same as Promo by weight".

Be careful with that "...loads the same as..." stuff. There are a number of factors that can make that a dangerous assumption.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.