1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

alliant promo powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hank-1, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hank-1

hank-1 TS Member

in need of info on load data for 1 oz in sts hulls fed primer windjammer 1oz wad for 1150-1200fps

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hank-1 try the web address above it has promo loads you will have to search the loads data to find what you are looking for if it is available at all. This is the best I can do it is all I have ever seen published on Promo.

Bob Lawless

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

One may substitute Red Dot loads for charge weight. You will likely need a smaller bushing. Make sure to use a scale.

4. Shooting Coach

This a great deal on a great powder. One can use Red Dot loading data, needing only to verify charge weights.

It seems to be a soft shooting powder, and if pressures ae kept up, is very clean burning.

Today, I shot three rounds of Dubs with my MX-8, bottom barrel Amerian Select, and top barrel Promo. After 75 rounds through each barrel (one ounce at 1250 for each load, and different brass to eliminate confusion), I asked a trap bud to look through the bores and tell me which bore was cleaner. They were both the same. So much for "ultra clean" powder! Recoil was the same.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Coach- I do agree that Promo is a very good economical powder. I disagree that looking down a barrel will give any accurate information about how clean a powder will burn. A powder that leaves three larger clumps of powder residue will look dirtier than a powder that leaves several hundred very small clusters of powder residue.

Pat Ireland

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I don't worry about "dirty" Promo, but I noticed my current keg of Promo is cleaner than earlier lots.

7. TomP

TomP TS Member

Maybe they wiped it down before they shipped it.....

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Promo and Red Dot "DATA" is enter changeable. The difference is that Promo is a denser powder so the volume loaded is different. You will most likely have to drop at least one bushing size(in some cases two) to get the same charge weight. Be sure to use a scale to verify your charge weight with the bushing you are using. Promo has the same burn rate as Red Dot. Not quite as "clean" in that it leaves a tad more residue, but cleaner than many powders. It is a real value in the powder market and is American made.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

STS Shell 1 oz shot 1200 fps 18 Grs Promo, Rem 209P primer, Windjammer Wad

STS Shell 1 oz shot 1200 fps 17.6 grs Promo Win-Rio Primer, Windjammer wad

Win AA Shell 1 oz shot 1200 fps 18 grs Promo Win-Rio Primer, Windjammer wad

I love this load 1 1/8th oz shot, STS shell, Rio Primer, 18.5 Promo, Windjammer wad or Downrange windjammer copy,just under 1200 fps, Patterns closely to Greendot Powder, dense patterns. This is my recipe.

From page 30 of 2005 Alliant reloaders guide.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Shooting Coach

The last batch of Promo I got took the same bushing the Mec chart suggested for Red Dot. It does seem cleaner than earlier lots.

As far as debris in the bore, physical appearance, pulling a clean patch through the bore, Promo and AM SEL looked the same. Promo is much cheaper.

When buying fuel for my car, I do not use Shell Premium. I use Mapco or Kroger fuel. Gunpowder is fuel. I have gone to Promo for everything but back fence loads, and use Unique for them.

Now, if Alliant would make an economy version of Unique!

11. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

My standard 1 oz. load is 16.4 grains of Promo, Fiocchi primer, Gun Club or STS hull, hard 8's, and Downrange XL-1 wad. If you want a little more velocity substitute a Green Duster wad.

Good Luck.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Dr.Longshot

Did they actually publish that data you listed for the Rio primer, or did you just make a substitution without valid data to go by? I would believe that the Rio primer would NOT give the same pressures as the Winchester in the same loads.

13. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Rio data can be found at the URL listed. Don't see Dr. Longshot's load listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.