1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Promo powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap12ga, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap12ga

AAtrap12ga Member

I’ve been reloading 12K to 15K round a year for the last seven years. With reloading costs increasing significantly I’m looking at ways to reduce my reloading costs. I have been using Remington wads and primers in my STS and Nitro hulls. My intent has been to mimic the Remington Light Target and Light Handicap shells. The powder used has been Clays for my 1oz 1145fps loads and International Clays for my 1 1/8 oz. 1200fps loads. In all likelihood I will switch to Claybuster TGT12 and Fig8 clones. There has been quite a few links regarding primers to the point of having me unsure if I should migrate from the Remington 209’s. The powder selection is my next dilemma. Hogdon powders have been hard to get at times in NH and not the most competitively priced. I’m considering using Alliant Promo for my lighter loads and Green Dot for my handicap load. For those that have used these powders what have been your results? If you switched from Clays and Int. Clays is there any difference in performance? Open to suggestions on primers and powders.
    Steve

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would highly recommend Promo and Green Dot. It's what I have used the most. I don't skimp on the primers. I use mostly Winchester W209s. I use what I have reliable data for, or what has tested out to work well under all weather conditions. I find cold weather performance the hardest. The Winchester W209, Federal 209A, and CCI209M seem to do the heavy lifting in cold weather for most of my loads. For the heavier 1225 fps+ loads, I use Unique. Promo for 1 oz and light 1 1/8oz, Green Dot for 1200 fps 1 1/8, Unique for 1225 or so and up. Versalite Reds for the caps.

3. DBLMTHM

DBLMTHM Member

Steve:
    I have loaded 125,000 shells with Promo for 1 oz and 1145 fps 1 1/8 oz for singles. All with the Downrange TGT wads or Downrange Fig 8 wads. I only use Cheddite primers. I'm in northern Arkansas and winters aren't too bad. Don't know how Cheddites would perform in extreme cold.
    My handicap has been 20 grs Greendot with Downrange Fig 8 and they smoke targets if I do my part.
    All hulls are STS.
    Hope this helps.

David

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bought 32# of Promo when Clays became hard to get last year. I use it to reload 1oz and 1-1/8oz loads without any issues, and would not hesitate to buy more. Chichay

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use Promo for for light loads and then go to green dot for the 1 1/8 oz hot loads.(21gr) Three years ago I bought 25 thou Fiocchi primers and loved them. Couldn't get them when I ran out so I bought Cheddites and have never had a problem with them but have only used around 12 thou of them. The only ones I don't like is the Noblesports. Jackie B.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I made the switch to PROMO and GD when I could not get my old favorites CLAYS and IntClays. I still think you can't beat the performance you get out of CLAYS but if you can't get the stuff at a reasonable price then what does it matter?

Seriously.... no issues with PROMO or GD and even if I can somehow get Int. Clays again at GD prices I will probably stick with GD. As for promo...well I'll burn it until the next $110 jug of CLAYS comes along. (probably be awhile)

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Odd stuff. Some kegs burn dirty. Some kegs burn clean. My current keg is as clean as any 12 gauge powder I have used, including Clays and PB.

But all, clean or dirty, have performed fine.

8. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I usewd Promo and have migrated to Clay Dot. Same data as Clays, very clean and consistant and less that $10 a keg more expensive than Promo. I use Claybuster wads, either CB110-12 or CB1118-12, Cheddite or Fiocchi primers, STS or AA hulls and shoot all winter in Michigan withour any problems. I tend to use Green Dot for my handicap loads with the same components.

....Paul

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Never used Promo, but lots of Green Dot. It's an excellent powder and American made. It makes a great 1oz. load too. I can't comment on primers, I have only used Winchesters for 40 years with no issues.

Wayne

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Steve, you can't go wrong with your choices. STS209P primers are terrific and don't give me bloopers even down at 9 degrees. So if you already have them, don't worry about using them. I also use a lot of W209 primers and like them as well.

For your 1oz @ 1145 loads you have a number of inexpensive powders you can use. Promo will work fine. I just finished my last jug. I will tell you that it does burn a little dirty. The dirt takes the form of a slightly oily residue on the hulls. Clay Dot burns much cleaner.

Clay Dot was designed to be the Alliant equivalent of Hodgdon's Clays, and it is. It is a superb powder, and only a little more expensive than Promo (but less than Red Dot or Green Dot).

Alliant has a new powder out called Extra-Lite. It is a very fast burning powder, designed to keep pressures up (for clean burn and consistent performance) with light 7/8oz and 1oz loads. For example, using your hulls and STS209P primers, 15.5 gr of Extra-Lite will give you 1150fps @ 8660 psi with a ClayBuster CB 1100-12 wad, and 1150 fps @ 9600 psi with a TGT-12 wad. That's an ideal range for clean burning and consistency. It is less expensive than Red or Green Dot. Coupled with the low charge weights, this is one very economical powder to use.

e3 is a superb powder, but it a little more costly than the others. The low charge weights mitigate that, but it is still more expensive than the above.

Green Dot just plain works. It is dirty if you care. American Select is a great replacement for Green Dot for your light handicap load. It costs the same, but is orders of magnitude cleaner. Over a chrono, it is one of the most consistent powders I've ever used. It is the equivalent of International Clays, but better. I originally switched from Int Clays because Am Sel was $20 a jug cheaper at the time. Now, I'd still use Am Sel even if Int Clays became cheaper. I like it that much.

11. AAtrap12ga

AAtrap12ga Member

I would like to try Clay Dot but their reloading guide does not list any 1145fps +/- 1 oz. loads. Some say to treat it as you would Clays but the lack of recipes from Alliant in that velocity / 1 oz. configuration makes me skeptical that it is the same. The Remington light target load is a very popular round and to not provide reloading data for duplicating it is why I’m hesitant to treat Cloy Dot the same as Clays.

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I get my supplies from CAC in Pa promo was 80 a keg Clay buster wads 62/5000 and Rio primers were105/5000 no miss fires with rios and only have 300 left. all prices plus tax but shot is still a killer.

Jerry Lewis

o

13. kd185

kd185 Member

those are some good prices jerry

14. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

AAtrap 12, Promo here is about $76.00 for 8#. That is hard to beat and if I have to wipe the barrel after I shoot I do that anyhow. I never missed a bird due to the powder I used.

I will say that Promo is excellent. I load 18gr under a 1oz claybuster wad and use Nobel or Cheddite primers. Really a great round for me. I used the calculator that we have available to us here on TS and it is costing me $3.60 per box of 25. That's not bad for today's prices. Try it you will like it.

Mike

15. arend003

arend003 Member

Switched from Red Dot to Promo and it has been great .. use it in 1ounce loads with fiochi primers and windjammer wads work great from the 16 year line and my wife loves the load.
    Tom

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

AAtrap12ga, call Alliant's ballistics Department and talk to them. I have, on many occassions. Here are two relevant conversations. BTW, don't take my word for it, call and ask for yourself.

When Clay Dot was first introduced, there was not much loading data for it. I called about other data and was told that Clay Dot was a safe substitution for any published Clays recipe.

On another call about lighter loads than published, I was told there was zero possibility of detonation with light powder loads in shotshells. So it was safe to use less powder than a recipe called for to lower velocity.

17. maka

maka Member

I am on my sixth 8lbs. jug of promo. Only load 1oz.using DR. XL-1 green. I load all Remington hulls. I use 17.5 grains. To save I load Fed. Top Guns I get for free. One maybe two releods then discard. I use same coponents for all. Use Win. 209 in Rems. and Fed. 209A in Feds. Use Feds for Practice.

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I switched to Promo from REX I for singles and doubles several years ago because it was available and REX was not. I have loaded well over 15 jugs of it during that time with excellent results. I load STS hulls with Cheddite primers, DR neon green 1oz wads, 18.5gr. Promo, and 1oz. 81/2 shot. Yes, the powder is a bit on the dirty side, but, coming from REX I, it is clean by comparison. I find that I do need to weigh my powder drops fairly regularly because the drop weights will change from lot to lot. Not a big deal. The only problem I have had with Promo is when I used Fiocchi primers. Many say that the colder weather promotes bloopers with this combination, but, I'm here to tell you, it didn't matter what the temperature was, I still got them. After switching to Cheddite primers, the problem has completely disappeared. I can reload these shells very economically with these components:

Cheddite primers- $109.00/5M

DRXL 1oz wads- $79.00/5M

Promo powder- $75.00/8lb

Northwest shot- $21.00/bag (bought by the ton last year)

Reclaimed shot- $18.00/bag (bought last year)

Using these components, I can reload a box of shells for much less than new and still get a good quality reload..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. AAtrap12ga

AAtrap12ga Member

Zzt – For some reason I never thought to contact the manufacturer. I just assumed they would publish all of the combinations to move product. E3 was my first choice, thinking it could handle both of my loads. Just a little on the pricy side though. American Select could do both but the 6,900 PSI has me wondering about poor combustion characteristics due to the lower pressure range. Promo could handle both the 1150fps/1 oz. at 17 grains (8,300 PSI) and the 1200fps/1 1/8 oz. at 19 grains (10,000) for Rem STS209’s and Clay Buster TGT12 and Fig8 clones. Has anyone tried the Promo 1200fps recipe?

Steve Szczechura (AAtrap12ga) Pelham, NH

20. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

I use 18.5 grains Promo, fiocchi primers, CB wads, gun club hulls and 1 1/8 load. It works great.
    Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant promo

alliant promo for sale

alliant promo powder

alliant promo powder for sale

alliant promo powder reviews

promo gunpowder
promo powder reloading data
promo powder sale