1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant powder w/ fed top gun/estate hulls- Data?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Trying to find a recipe for clay dot w/ estate/top gun hulls. The alliant website doesn't even have a heading for these hulls, closest that they list would be Federal Gold Medal Paper or Plastic hulls. Any thoughts?

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

You can use the Gold Medal plastic hull data listed on Alliant's website. ...Rick

3. skeet_man

thanks!

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Here is some cross reference data from Alliants 2004 Guide for Fed Plastic Shell w/ rolled paper base wad, that you can compare w/ Fed GM plastic and paper data:

1 1/8 oz, Fed 12S3, Fed 209A, 18.5 gr Red Dot, 1145 f/s 7300 psi

1 1/8 oz, Fed 12S3, Fed 209A, 19.0 gr Red Dot, 1200 f/s 9300 psi

Jason

5. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Contact Alliant.

6. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Lot of data in the Lyman 5th edition Reloading book. Amazon or any good Sporting goods store will have a copy.

- - Bill

7. skeet_man

the alliant book doesn't have any data for clay dot, to new I suppose...

8. maka

maka Member

I talk to Federal several years ago. Rep. told me to use one grain less than Gold Metal data in their Top Guns.

9. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

skeet_man, tell Alliant your components then they can design a recipe for what you have. Good people there. Not going to give you a bad mix

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The general consensus is that the data for the Gold Medals should work ok in the paper based hulls. My advice would be to keep it conservative and not use any data that approaches the upper ranges of pressure. I use those hulls with about 18.2 grains of Promo or Red dot, Federal 209A primers, 12S0 or 12S3 wads and their corresponding shot payloads. I get close to 1200 fps with either load. The 1 1/8 oz is just a tad slower than the 1oz. The powder charges are well below earlier published loads by Alliant and other sources. I would recommend contacting Alliant directly for their take on it.

I would not reload these hulls more than two times at the most. They have a tendency to leak past the primer cups as they get loaded more often. Also they can show signs of a swelled basewad if they have gotten wet. A careful inspection is the rule. If any hull has any questionable defect, it's best to toss them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.