1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant powder - leaking 8lb containers?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Len in Phoenix, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Has anyone had trouble with 8 pound containers of Green Dot leaking from around the cap or appearing to have been opened before they were purchased? Here's a copy of an email I just sent to Alliant.....

"Earlier today I tried to purchase an 8 pound container of Green Dot from the Sportsman's Warehouse in Goodyear, Arizona. As I was leaving the store, I noticed that the container I had just purchased was leaking powder from around the cap. Not much, but enough that I noticed. Upon further inspection, I found that the sealing ring that is normally attached to the cap on a new container had been separated from the cap. All of the plastic "fingers" that connect the sealing ring to the cap were broken. I removed the cap and found that there was no paper/foil seal on the mouth of the container.

I took the container and my receipt (less than 2 minutes old) to the customer service desk, turned the container on its' side so that a few flakes fell out, and asked to exchange it for another, sealed container. The lady at the customer service desk was quite helpful and completely understood my reluctance to reload using a container of powder that appeared to have been tampered with. When the sales clerk at the gun counter brought out the replacement 8 pound container of Green Dot, it also had been opened and leaked powder onto the counter.....about 50 flakes came out when the container was turned on its' side. An 8 pound container of American Select had the same issue - broken seal, leaking powder.

I ended up getting a refund on the 8 pound container and purchasing a properly sealed 4 pound container. Is this the way 8 pound containers are currently being shipped from Alliant, unsealed and dribbling? I would like to continue using Green Dot, but I do not feel comfortable using containers that leak and appear to have been opened prior to my purchase.

Thank you for your time."

The customer service folks at Sportsmans were wonderful. Their normal policy is that all powder sales are final, but this container looked "odd" enough to the manager on duty that the policy was waived. The clerks at the gun counter were helpful but didn't quite understand why I wouldn't want a jug of powder that had already been opened. I had to show them what a properly sealed container looked like.

Caveat Emptor, as always.

Len in PHoenix

2. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Len - I just bought 4 - 8lb jugs of Claydot. They were in the original unopened cardboard 2-jug boxes from Alliant. None of the jugs had a seal.

I had one jug left unopened from a previous order. Checked it and it didn't have a seal either.

Guess that's the way they are packaging now.

hubcap

3. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Thanks hubcap. It sounds like I need to purchase them the same way you do (unopened boxes) to maintain my "comfort level".

Len in PHoenix

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't care about the seal on the mouth of the jug, since there is one in the cap(I think) but the sealing ring should not be broken. If it is, tampering is definitely evident.

Wonder what the weight was? Maybe someone is filling his personal jug a few spoonsful at a time. Like the Johnny Cash song about the Cadillac, LOL.

HM

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I don't believe the 8# containers come sealed as they did in the past. I first noticed it in my PROMO purchases, and they were in factory sealed boxes.

6. C H S

C H S TS Member

I talked to Dick Quesnbery form Alliant about that at the PA State shoot. He said he would look into the matter.

Andy

7. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

HMMMMMMM

I have noticed the same thing with Red Dot, Clay Dot. Thought somebody might be dipping a bit out at the club prior to my pickup?

I would like an answer to this riddle also.

38-01615 in NC

8. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Guys,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I am forwarding this to Dick, and he will begin looking into it immediately.

Thanks,
    Paul

9. blooper

blooper TS Member

same problem here also....all promo jugs were opened

10. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Same problem with my last 8 pounder of green dot, cap seal not broken, but no seal on the container.

Tom R.

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

That's very interesting. The last 8 lb keg of Clays powdwer I bought seemed to have had the seal messed with also. Unfortunately for me I did not notice until I opened it to use. I did however weigh the keg before and after use and it appeard to have weighed the 8 lbs. If someone from the store I bought it from stole a little I'd never know. Maybe they were taking just a few grains from each container.

12. MX3SBOY

MX3SBOY TS Member

13. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Thanks everybody....I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed.

BTW, I got an "undeliverable message" error on the email I sent to Alliant. I used the address from the website (mailto: alliant.reloading@atk.com). Does anyone have a different address for them?

Len in PHoenix

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Len

alliant.reloading@atk.com should be correct as far as I know. Don't include the "mailto:" in the address field.

15. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

I just opened some Red Dot and there was no seal, but the cap still has the locking type tabs. Personaly if there is NO form of locking system, I probably would consider not purchasing.

16. richrob

richrob TS Member

I just opened a 8lb jug of promo last night, and i was wondering if i had opened it before because the outside seal was broken. there was no inside seal, dont remember if there was one on my last jug. i just chalked it up to me opening it up when i bought it and forgetting about it. strange that this many other people have recently had this happen. -Rich

17. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Last three jugs of clay dot , same problem,

18. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

** UPDATE **

I received the following email today from Alliant:

Subject: RE: Green Dot - leaking 8 pound containers
    Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:24:41 -0400
    To: "Len Sullivan" <shotguncoach@yahoo.com>

The 8 lb containers do not have a piece of paper over the mouth like the 1 and 4 lb sizes do. This is why there is a locking ring on the cap. If the locking ring has been broken, it must have been done after leaving here. We have no reason to lock the caps down and then break them open at a later time. Occasionally a cap will not get screwed down tight enough to activate the locking ring and that is our fault. However, once they are locked down, we do not remove them. I would not purchase powder in the instance that the ring has been broken either. This indicates that someone has purposely opened the container for some reason. This issue should be addressed to the store manager.

Thanks for your interest in our powder and we regret this inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments. Until then, good shooting and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
    Consumer Service Manager
    Alliant Powder Company

I would suggest that the rest of y'all who posted about un-sealed 8 lb containers contact Alliant. I'll follow up with the store manager as Ben suggested, but the replies to this post make me think that the issue is larger than just one store.

Len in PHoenix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

weight of 8 pound alliant jug