1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant manufacturing 700X for Hodgdon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapshooter200, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter200

Trapshooter200 TS Member

Thought it was interesting and a bit funny that Alliant (ATK) is manufacturing 700X for Hodgdon........
    After their legal battle over Clays VS Clays Dot it seems strange that they are now working together....

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

please cite your source...

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

If true, this is good news for 700X shooters. Alliant is TOP DRAWER.

If verified, I may go back to the "X".

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Hodgdon Powder bought the rights to distribute IMR powders in 2003. Last I heard 700X was made by EXPRO TEC in Canada. Wayne

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

If you look on a 700x container, the last one I saw said Made in USA on it.

I don't know where or if it is correct, but that is what was labeled and it was new on the shelf at a store.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

MORE INFO!!

I loved 700X until I started having consistency problems with it.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

A story during Vietnam era was that Hercules (now Alliant) was making 700X for DuPont, because DuPont busy was making powder for 5.56 Nato. I don't remember if DuPont was making ball powder for Olin, or a replacement powder for the 5.56 Nato.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For the last few years prior to the IMR company being sold to Hodgdon, the packaging company for IMR located in Plattsburgh, New York was forced to reject train cars with shipments of powder, as the powder did not meed minimum standards when tested by the packaging company.

Thus the shortage of various powders such as PB at the time.

I assume that some powder was packaged that was right at the minimum standard, but that's just me speaking.

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Is Hodgdon then the Packaign company for IMR Powders? Or do we have manufactorer, packager, marketer? And who in that chain owns the names IMR, 700X, etc. And who set the standards for those powders?

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A reliable rumor (note: already an oxymoron) suggests to me that the plant in Canada where 700X is/was made was having problems with the mfg. process and asked Alliant to temporarily take on the job of making the powder which was then marketed by Hodgdon as it has for the last couple of years. Whether making the stuff is back to the Canada plant or still coming out of Alliant is not known in my rumor source.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Hodgdon bought out the Plattsburgh packaging contract a few years back, at the time they purchased IMR. As far as I know the Plattsburgh plant is closed.

I live maybe fifteen minutes from the old plant and have not heard any recent news, but if someone has heard it's been placed back in operation that would be great news, as we were able to get are reloads tested at the plant as the owner shot at the local club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x alliant

700x gun powder in canada

700x powder in stock in canada

alliant 700x powder

alliant vs hodgdon which is best

hodgdon 700x powder

imr 700 x mfg

is 700x made in canada