1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Green Dot & Hodgdon TiteGroup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Some opinions on using these powders in 1 oz. loads. Generally I use green dot, but have been thinking about trying TiteGroup. Constructive Opinions welcome, and perhaps there is not a good comparison to be had!

2. rrose

rrose TS Member

Green dot not so good for 1oz loads, search on lots of previous threads. It takes a fairly high pressure load to get good results with green dot in 1oz.
    E3 is very good for 1oz loads.

3. remtrap

remtrap Member

Clays International is close to Green Dot in performance, I like around 19gr of Clays Int's in a STS or AA with the pink AA 1oz wad and #8 shot, performs well and very soft.

Tom Furst

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Red Dot/Promo mucho grande for 1 oz!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Titegroup is great for 1 & 1/8, probably good for one ounce but I havent tried it. I use Titewad for that.

If you use Titegroup be ready to use one ounce wads for 1 & 1/8 loads, as it is very dense, around a 23 or so bushing.

I love the stuff for caps. Fast and not much recoil.

HM

6. dontate

dontate Member

I use TiteGroup exclusively for light and heavy loads. The powder is pretty clean and loads very consistently. Remington Green or Gold hulls, Fed primer,TGT12 Wad,
    `17.5 Grains/1oz. load 19.5 Grains 1 1/8 oz. load

This powder is a ball powder and is very dense. Not the cheapest powder but it goes a long way in the loader. Seems close to Winchester AA Handicap powder but I think it is a bit cleaner burning.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Titegroup is the better of the two for 1 Oz loads but it is a very high density powder so it doesn't occupy that much of the case volume. For this reason you will want to use a wad generally specified for 7/8 Oz loads.

There are several powders out there that will do an even better job in the 1 Oz application - CLAYS is my favorite, Red Dot and Promo are very good, 700x is very good.

No need to give up on Green Dot - it is one of the very best powders for normal to heavy 1 1/8 Oz loads - it just doesn't work so well with the l Oz and smaller shot charges. (unless you go for real high velocity)

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I use Tite-Group for one once loads in WW hulls. I also use it
    for my 9mm, .45 and .40 handgun loads. Works great in all.

9. Randy P

Randy P Member

Halfmile, I just bought some titegroup myself, but when I look up the recipe it calls for rem. fig. 8 1 1/8oz wads. Where did you get having to use a 1 oz. wad? I do have TGT12 wads, but now not sure which to use.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

RandyP

The TGT-12 and Fig8 can be swaped without any pressure issues according to the good folks a Hodgdon. The TGT's work well for 1 1/8 oz loads, but you'll need the DR XL-1's for a good crimp with 1 oz payloads.

ss

11. Randy P

Randy P Member

Short shucker, just to make sure, I am shooting 1 1/8 oz loads with Nitro hulls, Rem. primers and I can use either 1oz TGT12 or 1 1/8ozFig. 8 wad for my 1 1/8 oz HDCP load? That would be great as I have 5000 of each to get started..lol

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

randy p yes Remington uses the TGT in the 1 1/8 nitro27 shells

13. Randy P

Randy P Member

Thanks for the information everyone..I'll be hitting the reloading bench tomorrow!
    Looking forward to trying those TGT12 wads!!

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Yes Remington uses the tgt12s in the factory Nitro27. Just cut one open and you can see what components they use.

Look on Hogdons website for the Nitro27 clone recipe.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use the DR XL-1 chartreuse wad for 1 & 1/8 loads with TG and the crimps are good. I have used F8 and foud the case was not filling and the crimps dished in. TGT is ok. I will prolly get another case of the DR when this one is gone.

The advantage here is I use the DR for one ounce with Titewad.

Perfect. One wad, for all trap shells.

HM

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Thanks for the input! I use Green Dot 19.5 grains inside Federal Gold Medal hulls with either a 12SO (1 oz) or 12S3 (11/8 oz), #8's and Federal Primers. I like many reloaders are always interested in a differant powder, or tweeking something that is a good combo...so thanks again for some thoughts. bkt

17. pulllit

pulllit Member

Ditto on what HM is doing. Great powder's and in my opinion the neon green XL-1 wad is the best quality.

18. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

I started using 17.6 gr. of Clay Dot in my Rem cases, 1oz loads. Shoots very nicely and very clean.

19. FLIP

FLIP Member

i use the TGT for my one ounce and 1 1/8 great wad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.