1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Extra Lite???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doughboy, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Fellow Shooters,

Is the Alliant Extra Lite powder all it appears to be. Interested in feedback for those that use it for 1 oz loads (1200 fps @ 16.5 grains).

Thank you,
    Kurt

2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I don't use Extra Lite in my one ounce loads. I use Clays.
    I didn't see much difference in the 1oz with the extra beside the presser being high than clays. I like the lower presser to be more on the safe side.
    Thats just me.

But for my 7/8 oz loads it is my only choice. Clean burn, not cold temp problems and low recoil.
    John

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Kurt, I was offered a loaded box of 1oz #8's by the Alliant rep at the PA State shoot two years ago, and promptly bought a #8 jug from Bill Natcher at the next shoot. It is MUCH cleaner than Clay Dot and with Downrange Purple Windjammer 1oz wads is a super performer. I'm on my 2nd or third jug.

Best...mike

4. doc boc

doc boc Member

I swiched to extra lite from redot. extra lite is cleaner, more economical and softer shooting. 15 grains of extra lite, 7/8 in a gunclub with chedite gave me 1230fps. for the winter I upped it to 16.5. my skeet buddy shoots 3/4 oz with 16.5 in his beretta explore. doc

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doc, is that the powder you found in the dumpster? HMB

6. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Currently working through my second jug of Alliant Extra Lite. It is very, very clean. I think that the high pressure ensures complete burn, but is not a problem if you follow the Alliant recipe. Also to me, the felt recoil is low. 15.3 gr. Extra Lite, Winchester 209 primer, Downrange TGT wad, 1 oz. #8's. Work very well in my Beretta 391 and leaves minimal residue.

I like It!

Chris

7. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

Two thumbs up! I use it for my 3/4 oz skeet loads and my 7/8 oz trap loads. My experience is the same as reported above. And really believe that the cold weather performance can't be matched for 3/4 oz loads...haven't had a blooper yet.

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Sounds like a nice Powder, and have been thinking of getting some myself.

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Also, look at e3...its a very nice powder for a wide range of loads...much less peaky than Clays and a very even pressure curve. I've changed to it from Clays and Red Dot...very happy.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

15 gr extra lite

alliant extra lite

alliant extra-lite