1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Extra Lite

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ScottEslick, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Is there any updated opinions on the Extra Lite powder, thinking about trying it out, I shoot 7/8 and 1 oz loads.

Thanks,Scott

2. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I find Alliant Extra-Lite to be soft shooting and very, very clean with 1 oz. loads in my Beretta 391. I like it.

Chris

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Same here, Chris. It shoots well and cleanly in both 7/8 & 1oz loads. I use Claybuster Lightning 7/8oz(windjammer), and 15.5gr/Downrange Purple 1oz.(windjammer).

break 'em all ....mike

4. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I offered an opinion after using a keg some time ago. Now almost another full keg gone and my opinion is still basically the same. This is the cleanest powder I have ever used and is in my opinion the premiere 7/8oz and yes, 3/4oz powder for 12 ga. My observation/opinion is that it is thumpy and doesn't pattern as well as other light load powders on 1oz loads, but that is purely conjecture as perceived recoil is "perceived", and I do not pattern for quality, only POI.

If you shoot 7/8oz at ATA speeds (1145 - 1225fps), I would really suggest you get a jug. You will be pleased.

K

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7/8 oz 15-15.5 gr downrange pink wad aa or sts hulls . Very clean! 1200 fps

6. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Decent powder for lighter loads. Winchester (Hodgdon) makes one in this category as well, but it's a bit more costly. I think the Alliant Powder has a slight edge in the range of loads it will work well in, but I have not made a real detailed comparison. I have used a bit of each powder and think there is nothing to lose by using the Alliant Extra Lite.

8. Border Bandit

I just dug out some of the Extra Light 7/8oz loads of #8's with BP Lightnings to try on the first target in doubles, tomorrow at Tuscarora. We'll see how those work.

break 'em all.....mike

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm om my second jug. I have to agree with the rest. Clean burning soft recoil and work great with 7/8 or 1oz loads.

10. Border Bandit

Well, they were clean burning, and no recoil, but I've never missed that many first targets, and was my worse singles score....ever. It was hot, I was tired, and the targets were all over the place; but still.....Guess I'll save the rest of 'em for practice and clays. OH! one more thing it was a 2nd time for something else; squad leader; it was my first & last.

Fan of 7/8oz loads...not!...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.