1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Extra Lite

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any feedback on Alliants new Extra Lite Powder?? Wayneo??? anyone??

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, Alliant has recipes for it on their site, but they don't show it on their products page. Nobody around here can get any to try. Last I heard (March 2010) Alliant has not received a DOT approval for shipping it. I kind of gave up on it. It's been advertised in American Rifleman for awhile now, but I can't get any.

Wayne

3. cubancigar2000

I can get it now but only in 8 lb kegs. Thats why I wanted to know if anybody had tried it - Recobs has it. I was thinking of buying 8lb and splitting it up with a couple other people

4. cubancigar2000

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Extra-Lite is a very fast burning, very clean powder. As far as I know, it only comes in 8lb jugs. It is more expensive than Promo, but less expensive then Red Dot. Very little is required, so it even more economical.

I bought an 8lb jug to try based on the preliminary reports I read in magazines. Extra-Lite was billed as a bulky power designed for light 7/8oz and 1 oz loads. It is bulkier than the others, but not by much. So the notion that you can use TGT-12 (1 oz wads) for light 7/8oz loads is misleading. If you don't want badly dished crimps you have to make significant adjustments to the crimping die to avoid. I am not willing to do that, so I am disappointed for that reason.

Data is limited. For 7/8 oz loads only the TGT-12 and the ClayBuster variant of the WAA12L wad are listed for STS hulls. Even though the WAA12L clone fills the hull and does not require crimping adjustments, I don't like ClayBuster wads. You have to put at l;east 16.5gr of Extra-Lite in a 7/8oz load before TGT-12 wads will not dish the crimp(much).

For 1oz loads at 1150fps, it is superb. You can go to 1200fps, but the pressure is really getting up there.

So I's say that Extra-Lite is a superb powder for all 7/8oz loads as long as you are willing to use a 7/8oz wad. 1oz wads only work, crimpwise, for bunker speed loads.

Extra-Lite is a great low velocity 1oz powder as long as you don't want to go above 1145fps.

6. cubancigar2000

ZZT - thx, thats what I wanted to know. I only want it for 1 oz 1150 loads so looks like it will work for me

7. Shotgun Ron

Shotgun Ron Member

I load some 1050 fps loads with Winchester AALite powder and it seems to be a lot more versatile that the Alliant lite powder. Powders birds from the 16 yd line and my 4H club shooters absolutely love the loads....Ron

P.S. My load is AAHS hull-13.6 grs AAlite-Windjammer Yellow wad-W209 primer-1oz #8 shot..Almost no recoil with this load.

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Why not use Clays/Clay Dot instead? Fewer issues and a bit more flexible.

WNCRob

9. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I just emptied my first 8lb'er last night so here is some comments:

It is Alliant powder and looks like Dot, promo etc. It appears to be very slightly smaller flaked than Dot. It meters thru my MEC cleanly and +/- 0.1 grain.

It cost me same as Dot (Parks and Sons).

It is 10-15% more efficient than Dot. To move 1oz at 1150fps takes about 15.5gr per Alliant data.

It is NOT a powder for 1 1/8oz, or more than 1oz/1150 to 1200fps, per the data.

It is fluffy, virtually equivalent to Red Dot with regards to velocity in my MEC - ie same bushing, same velocity (not weight). I get nice looking 1oz loads with 1oz wads and 7/8 loads with 7/8 wads. I get acceptable 3/4oz loads with 7/8 wads, so much so that it will replace Rex 0 as my go to powder for 3/4oz (Rex O is the fluffiest powder I am familiar with).

It is the cleanest powder I've ever used at any pressure level, including E3(and I've used a few!).

I perceive a sharper recoil than Promo or Clay Dot, particularly using 1oz. Take that for waht it's worth as I know many will say that perceived recoil is a myth.

K

10. cubancigar2000

Kevin, Thanks for your input

11. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Bump this up to see if there is any more info out there, my daughter is startiing to shoot and looking to see what I can do for light loads for her.

Thanks,

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alliant extra lite load data

alliant extra lite powder review

alliant extra lite powder reviews
extra lite load data
extra lite powder
extra lite powder and cb4100 wads
is aliant extr lite powder clean burning