1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant Extra lite powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigDave1200, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Is any one using this new Alliant powder? How do you like it? How does it compare in price to Promo, Red Dot, E3?

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

For 1oz loads I believe it to be the best choice for loads in the 1,200fps/10,000psi bracket. With Downrange's new 1oz Windjammer style wad in STS hulls it is an excellant load.

best...mike

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I use it and I like it. Very, very clean and also soft shooting in my Beretta 391. Recommended recipes are high pressure(many about 10K psi) that are intended for 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. It costs about the same as Red Dot and about $10 more than promo.

Try it, you'll like it.

Chris

4. jkortte

jkortte Member

Great powder for the money. I use about the same load as Border Bandit. Very clean burning and my boys say low recoil. If you do the figures it is as cheap or cheaper than red dot being you use less.

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I use Winchester Xtra Lite and love it. Use it for first shot of doubles at
    7/8 oz. From the data I've seen the Alliant powder is in the same class.
    With AA hulls and Win wad I'm pushing about 1080 fps. Very soft.
    I don't use it for singles, the birds don't smoke as well. I use 19 grains
    of Int Clays and a 1 oz Windjammer wad with #8 shot. When I do my part it
    powders the birds, also very soft.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

6. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Thanks for the responses. I have been shooting 1oz promo loads lately and have been considering going to a 7/8oz load and when I went to alliants web site and used their on-line reloaders guide it showed a lot of recipes with the extra-lite powder. I have what I thought was the most current book that they have out and it doesn't list that powder. They show alot of recipes with that powder on-line and also with using cheddite primers. I think I am going to try some.

Thanks dave

7. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I've been using Extra-Lite for the past 3 months for 7/8 oz. 16 yd. trap loads. Cheddite 209 primer, 15.5 Extra-Lite, CB-1078-12 wad and 7/8 oz. hard #8's. 1200 fps, no recoil, clean burning, with excellent breaks. Alliant has a winner in my book.

Mike

8. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Been shooting w/ this powder since it came out; I liked it best w/ slower 1oz loads (1150fps 15gr Fed primer windjammer 1oz wads in Rem hulls) but now I'm loving it w/ 7/8oz 8.5 hard shot, Fed Primer, Claybuster TGT12 clone wads in a rem hull. 1200fps and great breaks out of a full choke. J.Terre

9. 1963

1963 TS Member

1 oz loads....16 grains, CB Fig 8 wad, 7 1/2 shot and Rem hulls; nothing but smoke when you hit that bird. Extremely clean burning powder; try some, you will like it. Mike

10. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I use both AAlite and extra lite and like them very much for 7/8 and 1 oz loads. These two are the only way to go for 7/8 oz loads @1200 fps and below in my opinion. Pressure is high enough for consistent velocity and patterns.

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have been useing Extra Lite for about a year now. I like the 7/8 oz loads. Low recoil and work great in the cold weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant x tra lite with win wsl wads

extra lite for 1 oz