1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Alliant Extra Lite for 1 ounce loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HTSmith, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTSmith

HTSmith Member

Anyone have any experience that they would share? I have AA and Remington hulls.
  2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If there is published data for it, then load it at will.

ss
  3. tcouch

tcouch Member

I'm not sure about 1oz, but loading 3/4oz with extra lite is a great load. It cycles my 1100 and my wifes AL2 without any issues. Now that i've started with 3/4, I have 4k WAA12SL wads that I dont know what to do with.

Tim
  4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tim,

Use a cheerio or two to take up the space. The honey nut ones taste the best. Lol.

ss
  5. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Member

There is published data on the website. It is very efficient and clean burning. Alliant has made it pretty bulky so case fill works well even tho charge weights are typically less than other powders. Meters similar to other Alliant products, which is to say very consistent in my experience.

You will not be able to go very fast with 1oz payload, but there is data for target loads 1100-1200fps for all 3 major hulls, and then some. Paul at Alliant can probably help you figure out how to apply unlisted components.

Optimum powder for 7/8 oz and less; it is one of several good choices for 1 oz.

I've shot ~ 28 pounds (so far).
  6. HTSmith

HTSmith Member

Thanks for all the input so far. 1200 fps is what I'm looking for. Was hoping some actually had a load they were using successfully for trap or sporting. Tim, I might take those wads off your hands.
  7. jkortte

jkortte TS Member

Remington hull Remington primer Downrange green 1 o/z wad with #9 shoot 16.5 grains of Extra Lite. Both my sons smoke skeet targets with this set up. Runs 1170 to 1180 fps on a chronograph. Sorry forgot the powder charge in my first post.
  8. HTSmith

HTSmith Member

jkortte, could you share how many grains of powder you are using? That sounds like exactly what I'm after, only with 8's for trap. PM will be fine if you prefer. I have plenty of the downrange green wads. Thanks much.
  9. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Why do you want to use Extra Lite powder for 3dr loads at 1200fps?
  10. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Works good for me using the cooler primers like Remingtons or Cheddite and the lower pressure wads like the CB Lightning or Windjammer 1oz. Lots of data for Rem hulls in the Alliant book. Keep your speeds below 1200fps and you still get nice clean burns and it's economical to use because of the low charges required. J.Terre
  11. HTSmith

HTSmith Member

Johnny, I shoot about 60% 7/8oz. loads and my experience with traditional fast powders (clays, red dot, etc) is that you have to take the velocity up pretty high to get consistent results. Also wanting a powder that will do 1 oz well at 1200 fps. Not sure about the dram stuff.
  12. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I recently switched to extra lite and love it. I originally got it for 7/8oz loads but I am loading lots of 1 oz with it. I'm going with the published data on alliants website. STS Hull, 16.4 gr extra lite, cheddite primer, claybuster CB-1100 pink wad, 1 oz of #8 suppose to run about 1200fps although I've never chronographed them. They barbecue targets and I broke a 100 at Illinois with this load. Very clean burning and meters well. I also load STS, 15.5grains extra lite, cheddite, claybuster CB 0178 grey Winchester style wad 7/8oz of 8's at 1200. That's also a nice load. I've used some of the 3/4oz loads for this powder which works well but a little lacking in knockdown power for registered competition in my opinion. I use them for practice and the first target of doubles in marathon events.
  13. bkt514

bkt514 Member

I like it for both 7/8 & 1oz loads. The 7/8 @ 1225 or so, and the 1oz @ 1150 gps. Clean burning, and I Follow Alliants printed formulas. Works great!
  14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I had to look up the data I have written down for for the 3/4oz. It is STS, cheddite,16.0 grains extra lite,CB-0175 new 3/4oz Winchester style wad,and 3/4oz #8s at 1300fps. Works well for first shot of doubles but doesn't seem to bring as much smoke as the 7/8s I normally use for this shot. I'm wondering if 81/2s or 9s would work better for this load to get up the pellet count. Anyone using those for this and can shed light on it?
  15. mike campbell

mike campbell Member

"3/4oz #8s at 1300fps. Works well for first shot of doubles but doesn't seem to bring as much smoke as the 7/8s I normally use for this shot."

3/4 ounce saves you 25 cents/box or so over 7/8 ounce. Maybe that's important to you. But 7/8 ounce at 1100 fps has about 50 more pellets and will recoil about the same. You might consider whether 1150 fps is fast enough for the closest trap target you'll ever shoot. That velocity works great a lot of people shooting singles with standard 1 & 1/8 ounce light target loads. Just an option.
  16. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

You're right Mike, it's not much of a savings and when I do shoot them I want them to be moving pretty fast to hopefully hit a little harder but mostly to produce enough recoil to set my second trigger. Like I said they are just for practice but work pretty well when shooting a thousand double marathon. Saves a little lead and doesn't beat you up when shooting that many. Otherwise in normal situations I'm using 7/8.
  17. mike campbell

mike campbell Member

All good. I'm recently using a slow 1 ounce load of #8.5 with E3. I'm happy with it but plan to check out ExtraLite for similar performance at a little higher pressure when the E3 is gone.
  18. bkt514

bkt514 Member

A #29 gives me 15.5 grins and a #30 gives me 16.1 grains consistenly with Extra Lite. Your machine/bushings may be differant. SO make sure you weigh some out, so the pressures don't get real high (I like mine less than 10,000 psi)
  19. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

And the powder varies from lot to lot.

Scott
  20. pakk

pakk Member

I've gone through 24#s and it is the cleanest burning powder by far. I use it for both 1oz and 7/8ths. I need to get more.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.